× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: connecting problems

shellroc
Aspirant

connecting problems

not sure where to start. brand new unit, dont know how to find out the firmware, because i cant get on to mywifi. however, I am connected and secure. Im in range of router.

what Im trying to do, is get better reception for my security cameras. Im also, pretty sure Im in range of my cameras, (about 20' from extender) but, they are sill jumping in and out of wifi. Its a straight shot from extender to cameras, so no blockage. I tried to do  the IP address  192.168.1.250, in firefox, IE and Microsoft Edge. IE is the only one that gives me a choice of what to do.. which Im not sure on what to do. the option is:

to put in an admin login and password for the above IP address. dont know what that is. then I scroll down and it says to try another IP address, which is one of mine. so I clicked on it.. so now im really confused.If I scroll down more, there is a list of devices using the above IP address.. my device (ex3700) is not listed.

so back to the cameras, any ideas on what I need to do? 

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Back to basics.

1. were you able to get the extender connected to the main router?

2. What is the main router?

3. Are you using the same ssid for the router as you are the extender?

4. You put you can't connect to the extenders wifi? Why not?

5. Have you tried hardwiring into the extender to do your setup? 

6. did you watch any of the install guides using the smart wizare or wps? Which method are you trying to install with? 

here's the support site. It has install guides, install videos, a manual (great to find out how to look up firmware), and troubleshooting. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX3700

Message 2 of 11
shellroc
Aspirant

yes, im connected to main router, centurylink. yes, same ssid with 2.4ghz. since I wrote this post, I used the IP address that was listed in my modem information, and it said that I was connected with the network. I did not use the hard wire (ethernet) directly to extender, because, the extender lights are all lit up, solid green. re: power, device, router, wps. so I figured all was good. but, I still see my cameras jumping in and out of wifi

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

Again, what router? the router is the backbone of an extender. If you have a crappy router, you're going to have a crappy extender. 

And when you say "jumping in and out of wifi" what do you mean? Is the camera's going back on forth from extender to router, are they dropping entirely, what is going on? 

Also, do you have the same ssid for the extender as you do the router? If so and then wifi is jumping back and forth, change the extender to a different ssid. Then reset the camera's (so they forget the router wifi) and reinstall them to only connect to the extender. 

Message 4 of 11
shellroc
Aspirant

I thought router and modem were the same thing.. my bad. all i know is,  I have a Centurylink modem model number Z1100Z, which is made by ZyXEL. 802.11 wifi router. is that what you mean.

Jumping in and out means that the camera is loosing wifi.. it dont keep a steady stream of recording. the connection between extender and router stay on.

not sure what and how to reset ssid. but, I finally got everything connected.. not sure how I did it though.. anyway, the cameras are still jumping in and out of wifi, even though I have a direct line of sight from extender to camera. but, heres a question.. can I use the extender on an extention cord? cause I am.. and maybe thats my problem. I am within 20' of camera with extender. If I plug directly into wall, then I wont be in direct line., even though its the same wall where I have my extention cord.

Message 5 of 11
shellroc
Aspirant

as mentioned in previous post, I still have extention cord plugged in.(check photo). anyway,  my mind is working overtime on this. so, here is a question... my ex3700 has its own IP address. so do my cameras.. the cameras are different from ex3700. should I change the IP address in cameras to match ex3700? should I "optain IP address from DHCP?" change gateway? I just cant figure out why the cameras wont work with extender..mind boggling

Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

it shouldn't matter if the extender is on an extension cord. 

Do you have the same ssid for the extender as you do for the router ssid? (ssid=wireless network name), if so, make the extender have a seperate ssid. Its not a model that support mesh and if you have the same ssid, the cameras could be trying to connect to the router instead of the extender. That could be causing issues.  

What is your home's interior walls made of? 

How far from the router is the extender?

to change the channel the extender uses, you change it on the router. The extender uses the same wifi channel the router does. 

the dsl modem/router you linked it is an older device with only single band N300 wireless. From reading reviews, its never been that great of a router to start with. 

The extender is a dual band extender. The router is single band. which means everything is running of the 2.4ghz connection. And on a modem/router with poor performance anyway, its only going to get worse with an extender as an extender, by its very nature, reduces the speed and increases the latency because it has to recieve/retransmit the signal from the router. 

Message 7 of 11
shellroc
Aspirant

the ssid for router/modem is centurylink, and the ssid for extender is centurylink_2GEXT. house drywall/block. distance from router/modem to extender is 40'. it has 5 bars of reception. In the netgear settings/wireless/general, it doesnt show what channel its on for 2.4ghz. I can faintly see it says auto. However, for the 5ghz, it shows channel 153 and 443mbps. (I do not have it checked for use). Also in settings/connected devices/wifi devices, should I have the "enable access control" box checked? (which is a different IP address)

so, it basicallly sounds like Im screwed, because of my old router?

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

Your primary router is the one that sets the wifi channel. You can try logging into that to change wifi channels. try 1-6-11. Maybe one has less interference than the other. 

You are a bit limited because of your router. Again, the router forms the backbone of the network. The extender can't perform any better than the router. Plus because of the way it (your specific extender), your speed from the extender will be half of what the router is. 

Message 9 of 11
shellroc
Aspirant

just ordered a new modem/router.. it will be here next week. then I will deal with this problem. thank you for all your information about this. but, dont go away, cause I still may need you. LOL

Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

let me know how it works!

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements