× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ethernet faster?

kentmiller21
Follower

ethernet faster?

i have a wgr614v10 wireless router and a modem connected to at&t phone line but it is not dial up. i have been using a wireless card in my desktop computer and have been using that configuration to access the router/modem, along with several other laptop computers in the house. can i not get more speed connecting straight through the router in an ethernet connection? the At&t modem only has the one port. when i connect to the router with the ethernet cable and try to setup an ethernet connection, it is asking for a username and password but it fails. i can enter 10.0.0.1 and access the router configuration ok. do i need the username and password for the MODEM? will this connection be faster? will it work with this router? I am unhappy witht he speed i mam getting through the wireless router, it was much faster before i connected the wireless router and installed the wireless PCI card in my computer and started using it. HELP? ha ha ha. I have written down password and a user name fort my gateway/modem but it does not get me through.
thanks
Kent

Message 1 of 3
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

see router setup on my sig below..

modem and router is setup wrong.
Message 2 of 3
fordem
Mentor

Q1 - What speed are you getting through the wireless?
Q2 - What speed DSL connection are you paying for?
Q3 - Which of the two answers above is faster?

To answer your question - ethernet is in most cases faster than wireless - however - wireless, is also, in many cases, faster than broadband, so the question translates to where is the bottleneck - if it's not the wireless, then switching to ethernet won't help.

I have 100 mbs ethernet, 54 mbps wireless and 1 mbs DSL - my DSL is the bottleneck.
You have 100 mbs etherent, 54 mbs wireless and what?
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7