× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ethernet to internet extender not recognized READ DESCRIPTION PLEASE!!!!

helpmeireally
Aspirant

ethernet to internet extender not recognized READ DESCRIPTION PLEASE!!!!

So i bought this internet extender two years ago and i have been using it wirelessly with an internet extender on my computer. However when i plug in my ethernet cable into the internet extender it does not cooperate with the wireless internet being used on the wireless extender on my computer. for example when used wirelessly i am using jsn42 as internet with the internet reciever connected to my computer. but when connected via ethernet cable i get a my totally different old wifi server cynthias wifi network PLEASE HELP

Model: EX6000|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

What do you mean by "internet extender on your computer"?  Is this a wifi USB adapter?  Can you tell us the manufacturer and model number?

What are the two devices that you are connecting via ethernet?

Message 2 of 10
helpmeireally
Aspirant

yes it is a wifi usb adapter, the manufacturer is MSRM and the model number is WA926. i've been using this to connect to my new wifi wirelessly but when i plug in my ethernet to my extender it connects to my old wifi

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@helpmeireally wrote:

but when i plug in my ethernet to my extender it connects to my old wifi

Just to be clear - is the ethernet going between the PC and the extender.

Message 4 of 10
helpmeireally
Aspirant

Yes sorry for not responding right away!

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Ok.  So why are you using the WiFi USB adapter in the PC if the PC is connected via ethernet to the extender?

If you remove the WiFi USB adapter, are you able to reach the internet from the PC?

Message 6 of 10
helpmeireally
Aspirant

No, I used to have a wifi usb adapter which was connected to the new internet that i use now, i then replaced it with an ethernet cord but that connects to my old internet that i used before. I'm trying to figure out a way to connect to my new internet using the ethernet cable connected between my pc and internet extender

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Are you able to reach the internet from your PC?

The PC should only be seeing an ethernet connection (unless it has another wifi radio enabled, or if you left the wireless adapter installed). The name Windows gives to that connection doesn't matter.

Message 8 of 10
helpmeireally
Aspirant

Yes I am able too. And wait it doesn't matter ? cause i just thought it was weird that connecting my computer to the wireless extender via ethernet should connect to the new wifi and not the old one. Would you want me to send a screen recording of my pc of whats going on ?

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@helpmeireally wrote:

it was weird that connecting my computer to the wireless extender via ethernet should connect to the new wifi and not the old one. 

Again, the PC shouldn't be using WiFi at all.  It should just be using ethernet.

If you are running Windows 10, try looking at the network status page (enter "network status" in the taskbar search bar).  You should be seeing a screen that looks something like the one below. You can post your own screen shot (or video) if you like.

:Network_status.png

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7