× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ex6100 needs manual setting to return to regular wifi connection

Otiswinston
Aspirant

ex6100 needs manual setting to return to regular wifi connection

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Otiswinston
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice. While waiting for your reply I managed up update the firmware but then had probems getting any connection to the internet. I spend a couple of hours on the phone with Netgear tech support and we managed to get it working. The problem was that I needed to set the extender setting to 128 bit encryption in order to allow me to enter the 26 digits of my router password; the 64 bit encryption setting limited me to entering only a 10 digit password, which was a problem for me.

I am pleased it is all working at this point. My mobile devices switch over to the extender when I am too far from my router, and although they remain on the extender network when I come back into range of the router, I remain connected and able to use my devices. The tech support person said it should switch back automatically to my regular network when I am in range of the router, but that does not happen (as you indicated is the norm). For now I am pleased to be connected again and able to roam around without losing a signal - thank goodness.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Otiswinston,

Can you please clarify what issues you are experiencing with the EX6100?
Which router is connected to the EX6100?
Are you running the latest firmware on both the router and extender?

Message 2 of 7
Otiswinston
Aspirant

I have a 2 wire router from Bell Canada which I believe is up to date. I believe it only runs on 2.4 Ghz. My EX6100 extender has outdated firmware but I am unsure how to update it. I have downloaded the update file to my Windows 8.1 PC which is connected to the router via ethernet. But the instructions are unclear (at least to me) on where to go from there. Instructions recommend a wired connection but I'm not sure what to connect to what. The extender has an ethernet port - do I connect that to my router? Also, the only way I can access the mywifiext web page to get into the settings is via my ipad, which of course does not have a usb or ethernet port so I can't get a wired connection to my pc from that.  Any suggestions?

Message 3 of 7
Otiswinston
Aspirant

To add to my previous reply - the probelm I am experiencing is as follows. The extender works fine in that I can now get a WifI signal in areas of my house which previously were beyond reach of my regular WiFi signal.  In those locations I can see that the signal is now on the _2GEXT signal. However, if I walk back within normal range of my regular WiFi signal, my devices remain on the _2GEXT signal and my devices stop connecting to the internet. I have to manually go into their settings to switch back to my regular WiFi connection. Hope this helps clarify the problem.

Message 4 of 7
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Otiswinston,

Please connect to the EX6100 via ethernet to your computer. Then open your web browser and login to mywifiext.net (or try 192.168.1.250)

or

If your computer is WiFi capable, please connect to the EX6100's WiFi network on your computer. (also disconnect any connections from the computer to the router).

Open your web browser and login to mywifiext.net . The defaults name = admin , password = password

Then navigate to Maintenance, then Firmware Update.
You can then upload the firmware.

The process that you describe of manually disconnecting from the _2GEXT is normal. The extender does not automatically switch your connection to the router whenever the extender signal is weak.
This depends on your device that is connecting to the WiFi network. The roaming connection is common in business products not home products.

Message 5 of 7
Otiswinston
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice. While waiting for your reply I managed up update the firmware but then had probems getting any connection to the internet. I spend a couple of hours on the phone with Netgear tech support and we managed to get it working. The problem was that I needed to set the extender setting to 128 bit encryption in order to allow me to enter the 26 digits of my router password; the 64 bit encryption setting limited me to entering only a 10 digit password, which was a problem for me.

I am pleased it is all working at this point. My mobile devices switch over to the extender when I am too far from my router, and although they remain on the extender network when I come back into range of the router, I remain connected and able to use my devices. The tech support person said it should switch back automatically to my regular network when I am in range of the router, but that does not happen (as you indicated is the norm). For now I am pleased to be connected again and able to roam around without losing a signal - thank goodness.

Message 6 of 7
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Great! Glad to hear you have it working again Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements