× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ex6100 range extender reconfiguration

starfishgurl
Tutor

ex6100 range extender reconfiguration

Hello, I need help figuring out how to reconfigure my ex6100 range extender as an access point after previously using it as a range extender on the same network but I can't seem to find any information explaining how to do that anywhere. I tried to reset my internet connection/router by turning it off and back on again in hopes that the extender would properly connect to it as an access point but that didn't work. Do I have to factory reset the externder and start all over again from scratch to reconfigure it as an access point? I already changed it to an access point connection on the side of the box and connected an Ethernet cable to it that's attached to the network and it's showing all green lights but it has no internet connection and I can't access it on the mywifiext.net page. For clarification I have a netgear wifi router attached to my modem and a netgear gs108e switch which connects all of the hard wired Ethernet connections (including the access points connection) to the wifi router. Thanks so much for your help!
Model: EX6100|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 8
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ex6100 range extender reconfiguration

Hello starfishgurl - Please refer to page 15 of the user manual to configure the extender as an access point: 

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX6100/EX6100_UM_27Oct2015.pdf

~Christian 

Message 2 of 8
starfishgurl
Tutor

Hi Christian, thanks so much for your response, but that doesn't help me because I have already used the extender in extender mode on the same wifi network I'm now trying to use it as an access point on so following those steps didn't work for me.  I actually ended up trying to factory reset it and then follow those steps and everything seemed to work accept for its connection to the router despite repeated attempts to restart everything and try new cords to get them to talk to each other.  So frustrating!  Any ideas on what's wrong or what I could try to fix the issue?  Thanks!

Message 3 of 8
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

starfishgurl - Would you mind telling me during what step of the directions you're running into issues with? Please note that your extender will need to be wired to your router using an ethernet cable to have the extender run in access point mode. 

~Christian 

Message 4 of 8
starfishgurl
Tutor

Sure no problem, thank you so much for your help! It's not until the last step when you try to connect devices to both frequencies of the access point that I run into trouble with it saying that I'm not connected to the router when I hit the continue button to finalize the last step. I tried checking both Ethernet cords to see if they were bad but that didn't work either. Interestingly though there's no activity light on the port on my switch for that particular Ethernet connection location even when I try connecting it to a different port so maybe it's an internal connection problem within my wiring in the wall and I should test it by trying to connect a laptop to the internet through that cord. The weird part though is that the extender shows all green lights on it not indicating a problem at all. I tried to bypass my switch by plugging the Ethernet cord for the extender directly into the back of the router too but to no avail. (I have a utility closet with my modem and wifi router and a switch that connects to a punch board with Ethernet connections throughout the house if that helps). Thanks!
Message 5 of 8
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi starfishgurl - Thanks for getting back. I'd like for our support team to reach out to you for further assistance. Please send me a message with your contact info.

~Christian 

Message 6 of 8
starfishgurl
Tutor

Christian, thank you so much for all of your help you've been amazing! Today I finally determined that the problem was an internal problem with the cat5e wiring in the wall that went between the access point and the router which is why the external cords that I tested on either end were still working and thus it seemed like something was wrong with the router and access point connecting to each other. I completely forgot about the fact that I had an unused cat5e Ethernet port in a nearby room and thus was able to plug the extender into that instead and switch the routers punch panel connection from the one that wasn't working to that room and everything worked perfectly right off of the bat with no issues! It's actually an even better spot honestly wifi coverage wise for the house than the other one was so it worked out for the best in the end. I'm sorry to have dragged you into all of this mess when the solution was actually quite simple but I never could've guessed that the actual wiring inside the walls was the problem the whole time or I never would've even bothered you in the first place. Thanks again and sorry for wasting your time but I'm so happy for the attempted help anyways I really appreciate it.
Message 7 of 8
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

starfishgurl, 

No worries, always glad to help! Glad you were able to get it all sorted out.

Take care,

Christian 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7