× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ex6250 - Intermittent internet dropouts

kc888
Follower

ex6250 - Intermittent internet dropouts

Hi all,

I'm getting intermittent (but regular) internet dropouts for devices connected to a new Mesh Extender.

I've configured the new EX6250 ac1750 Dual Band WiFi Mesh Extender to my existing nextwork, using the same SSID, across both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, with Smart Connect enabled. Signal strength is strong for both bands.

Also, firmware is up to date, verified this afternoon.

The intermittent issues are such that of two devices connected to the extender, one device can access the internet and the other not. I even had one today, where the same device could get to certain websites, but not others - this is an old mini Ipad, so may be a red herring.

Also, if I'm using Airplay from my phone to stereo, it drops out once I move into an area serviced only by the Extender. The stereo is connected via ethernet to main router. Appears to only work when iphone is connected to main router, which is hard to control.

Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks in advance,

KC

Model: EX6250|AC1750-WIFI MESH EXTENDER
Message 1 of 4
BazJ
Aspirant

Re: ex6250 - Intermittent internet dropouts

Hey, 

Exactly the same issue.  Same set up. Frimware yo to date.

Factory reset and tried again. 

3 Bedroom house. Router is in the lounge, next to the lounge is the kitchen, extender is in kitchen and the room I am wanting to get to is off the kitchen. 

Signal is strong between all points. 

Internet 2.4ghz works on the laptop okay...bit laggy though. iPhone is dropping it all the time, and when I walk through the house doesn't transition nicely betwen areas. 

Message 2 of 4
Chris205
Aspirant

My intermittent connections are similar.  My device connects perfectly well to the extender, but after a few hours, it disconnects, and it takes a power cycle of the extender to get it back on line.

I recently bought two Nest outdoor cameras.  I have an Arris SBG6782-AC router that's been working fine for ages.  One camera is mounted near the router, about 25 feet through an outside wall, and it stays connected, no problem.  The other one is farther away, so I bought the EX6250 extender.  I connected it to the router via WPS, and it uses the same SSID as the router.  The router list shows the extender with an RSSI about -45, pretty decent.  That camera then shows well through that setup.

The problem is that after a few hours, the farther camera is lost.  I can power cycle the extender, and then it's back on.  But this is an unacceptable work around.

The firmware in the extender is 1.0.0.124, which Netgear's web site shows as the latest.  To me, this is a software problem, since the extender is able to reconnect with a reset.  The extender should keep trying to reconnect if it gets disconnected from the router, without the user having to intervene.

Message 3 of 4
Chris205
Aspirant

Problem solved, at least for my particular problem.  Turns out I needed to use a static IP address for the extender, not one through DHCP.

I have had it running now all weekend, with no dropouts.  I went into the router configuration software and gave the extender a static IP address. 

What may have been happening is when the extender lost the router connection, the router, using DHCP, then reset the IP address elsewhere.  When the extender tried to reconnect, as it should, it was then using a dead address.  Rebooting the extender forced it to pick up the new address.  Changing to static IP address solved it.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7