× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ex7000 cannot get it to work

jw432
Tutor

ex7000 cannot get it to work

Followed wps setup instructions several times after doing a factory reset.  Indicators for 2&5G show solid green.  My phone wifi analyzer shows strong signal from my network range extender and leds are solid green.  Cannot connect from any wireless device - just spins and timesout.  I've had this working before but cannot get it working again.  I've reset my router in the process too - everything should be simple but it's just not working.  What else can I try?

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

I would try manually doing the setup. You can hardwire into the extender and access using the browser gui. Usually at mywifiext.net  

From there, there are options to go through the setup manually or redo specific parts of the extender.

If you're hardwired in, does it work?

You state your  leds are solid green.  All of them or which ones?

Are they blinking, solid, color for all of them help.

What firmware is on the extender?

What router and firmware are you connect to?

Distance from extender to router?

Message 2 of 9
jw432
Tutor

Tried "I would try manually doing the setup. You can hardwire into the extender and access using the browser gui. Usually at mywifiext.net"  Gives me page not found error and after watching a video on how to do that I've tried both wireless and wired access.  In the wireless scenario the Netgear does NOT show up as an option in Wifi connections and in wired mode, I get the page not found error.

I've tried the WPS setup multiple times (following the simple wps instructions) and while it appears to work (blinking leds turn solid green and I can see the wireless connection points on my network connection list), when I try to connect to one of the extensions *2G_EXT or *5G_EXT I get an error that I am unable to obtain an IP Address.  I've confirmed that DHCP is enabled and working on my router.

The extender is 5 feet from my router which is an Asus RT-AC88U with latest firmware.  The Netgear ex7000, not sure of firmware since I can't seem to get any connection to it including mgmt for update.  I've factory reset it and tried all of the above multipel times.    I may try facotry resetting my router and trying the entire setup from scratch.

This unit may well be destined to the trash heap and replaced by anything other than a Netgear product.  Probably something that offers a better support model, easier to setup and a better management infterface.  That said, I'll try any suggestions but I'm getting pretty frustrated with this equipment.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

If you log into the tp-link router, is it assigning an IP address to the extender? if so, you can use this ip address to log into the extender

Another option is to assign a static ip address to the extender. People have had success with this working for getting their extender connected.

The factory resetting the router might not be a bad idea as occassionally, router settings are what cause havoc with setting up extenders. Not saying thats whats going on here but it is a possiblity. 

Message 4 of 9
jw432
Tutor

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Here is what I've tried now.

- Switched from using MAC to Winodws to try and setup

- Factory Reset extender, with no ethernet connected.

- Power cycled, after cycle, no leds lit

- plugged in ethernet cable, still no leds lit

- opened mywifiext.local and up arrow/down arrow led is green as is link light for port (3).  browser tries to open mywifiext.local/web_login.html.  Page for 'New Extender Setup' is not fully loading, I see partial image of boy giving dog a treat but page seems to spin indefinitely, but I am only waiting about 5 minutes before clicking on 'New Extender Setup'

- Clicking on New Extender Setup spins for a while then tells me that the connection has been reset 

- No change on extender leds, onlu up arrow/down arrow and connected port (3) are lit.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

@jw432 wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Here is what I've tried now.

- Switched from using MAC to Winodws to try and setup--Good idea. 

- Factory Reset extender, with no ethernet connected.

- Power cycled, after cycle, no leds lit--nothing should be lit until something is connected. 

- plugged in ethernet cable, still no leds lit

- opened mywifiext.local and up arrow/down arrow led is green as is link light for port (3). Good it means its recognizing the connection.   browser tries to open mywifiext.local/web_login.html.  Page for 'New Extender Setup' is not fully loading, I see partial image of boy giving dog a treat but page seems to spin indefinitely, but I am only waiting about 5 minutes before clicking on 'New Extender Setup'  Try using a different browser. Sometimes chrome works, somtimes edge, sometimes firefox. Not sure why but if you try edge or chrome, usually one of those work.  Also try http://mywifiext 

- Clicking on New Extender Setup spins for a while then tells me that the connection has been reset 

- No change on extender leds, onlu up arrow/down arrow and connected port (3) are lit.--this is good, its recognizing a connected device and has upload/download going on. Now to access it and get that working correctly. 

Again, try the http://mywifiext    or  www.mywifiext.net 

Message 6 of 9
jw432
Tutor

Ok, I've tried with Firefox, Chrome and Edge. 

edge - "hmmm...can't reach this page"

firefox - first try: Hmm,  We're having trouble finding that site", second try: spinning and spinning

chrome - same thing, page loads for long long time.  If I walk away and come back I get a screen to 'Create Account' so I fill out the user, pw and hints and hit next and it spins indefinitely again.  Maybe if I walk away and come back in half an hour I might get a step further.

Message 7 of 9
jw432
Tutor

After waiting for a long time on the page I finally got it thru to the end and now it working.  I'll go move it to its home locaton and make sure I still can use it.  Thanks for all your suggestions.  I worry that I might have to go thru this difficult proess again, time will tell

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the ex7000?  I didn't ever see that listed. Updating it might help performance, increase speeds and security. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7