× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ex7500 won't connect to my router

JECaine
Tutor

ex7500 won't connect to my router

Hey all, I'm sure this conversation exists, but I'm too frustrated to go looking all over for this exact issue. Can anyone tell me why this ex7500 won't connect to my 5ghz network.  I've done the wps repeatedly and it just won't connect.  It thinks it's broadcasting a 5g signal, but it's only receiving 2.4 and I'm getting crappy speeds and disconnects on it.  The extender is downstairs, on my main floor but even when I move the extender to the same room as my new router (which I bought to solve this issue) it still doesn't connect.  Netgear has already RMA'd this device and the new one is doing the same thing as the previous. 

Also in the second screenshot can anyone tell me why I have to choose those radio buttons every single time I log into the extender?  Shouldn't it save those settings?  When I sit right next to the extender and connect to my 5ghz network I cannot log into the extender because I'm on the router.  

thank you smart wonderful people!

JCaine

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

How far from the router are you? 

Have you tried using the installation assistant and unchecking 'extender 2.4ghz" during setup? 
It still allows you to use the 5ghz but it won't fall back to the 2.4ghz backhaul if there's an issue. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
JECaine
Tutor

for some reason the pictures didn't show so here they are in attachment form

Message 2 of 7
JECaine
Tutor

screenshot two

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

What actual router do you have it connecting to? 

Your screen snips show its not connecting with the 5ghz backhaul (the whole purpose of a triband). 

The 2.4ghz band is slow and suffers from a 50% throughput reduction when it has to operate using that mode. 

Message 4 of 7
JECaine
Tutor

Hi Plemans,

thanks for your response. I was initially connecting with a Nighthawk R6700 v2 and I upgraded to a Nighthawk RAX45.  

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

How far from the router are you? 

Have you tried using the installation assistant and unchecking 'extender 2.4ghz" during setup? 
It still allows you to use the 5ghz but it won't fall back to the 2.4ghz backhaul if there's an issue. 

Message 6 of 7
JECaine
Tutor

Hi  Pleman

I re-ran the smart set up from the internal web server in the mesh extender, unchecking the 2.4 ghz network and the 5ghz connected.  The signal was yellow, so I re-ran it with the 2.4 ghz checked.  The mesh extender was giving the 2.4 Ghz network the name that was reserved for the 5Ghz and I wanted to fix that, but when I ran the smart setup with both checked they both connected.  The 2.4 is dark green and the 5 is light green but it looks better. I didn't think i needed to move the mesh extender any closer to the router since i have an older range extender that worked perfectly fine there.  Thanks for the help. This seems to have fixed at least this isse. I will keep an eye on it and if there are any other issues I will start another message.  For the record your help was better and more intuitive than Netgear's tech support. 

Thanks

JCaine

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7