× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ex8000 Speed capped even while next to the router

DillonNY
Aspirant

ex8000 Speed capped even while next to the router

After purchasing the ex8000 wifi extender for my room which is decently far from the router so I can use my laptop with decent speeds and not just 20 down 20 up I was extremely surprised with the performance of the ex8000. I went from really low speeds to around 300-500ish down and up. Then, randomly one day it went from those really nice speeds to 10 download 100 up. I'm not to familiar with networking stuff so I thought if I threw money at the problem getting whatever the best product I could find it solve my issues I was wrong. At this point I don't even think I could list all the things I've tired based off memory alone. I updated the firmware than factory restored it. Messed with a lot of settings like one wifi smart connect. Only enabling 5g. I use the extender with an ethernet cable connected to my laptop. Tried various ethernet cables. When I plug my laptop into my actual router I get the speeds you would expect for someone with fiber so around 800 up and down. I called netgear support, they sent me a new extender and well nothing changed. its still capped at 10 download and 100 upload it does not change. Not even when I put it next to the router the numbers maybe vary a little bit but nothing worth mentioning. At this point now I'm starting to suspect its my router I have Verizon fios and the router is the g3100. I turned off QoS that didn't help. I guess its worth mentioning that the signal strength the extender says in the settings are around 200+ mbps the lights are all white. I can't find anything online for this I have 0 clue what to do. At this point I'm totally lost. Any advice would be much appreciated, or recommendations for other products.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: ex8000 Speed capped even while next to the router

On your G3100 are you using the self organizing network option? 

If so, go into it and disable it. Then reset/reinstall the EX8000

Message 2 of 5
DillonNY
Aspirant

Just tried it, didn't work. I reset it and did the setup process and everything.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Do you have another router you could try it with? 

Or a family/friend/etc that you could bring it to their place and try it with. 

You've had it replaced so its doubtful to be a hardware issue. 

And I've seen issues with the G3100 and extenders before

Message 4 of 5
DillonNY
Aspirant

I don't think ill get a chance to check if it works with another router. But, I'm pretty sure its a router issue, not really sure what I need to do to fix it unfortunately.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7