× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ex8000 extender 5ghz connection

ryantonk
Tutor

ex8000 extender 5ghz connection

I cannot get my EX8000 to connect to my home routers 5ghz channel, it will only connect to the 2.4ghz channel. I have a AC1750 / C6300 home router. I have tried changing 5ghz channels on the router and multiple resets. It simply wont connect to the 5ghz channel. Any help?

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: ex8000 extender 5ghz connection

Hi @ryantonk,

Welcome to the community!

1. What is the firmware version of the extender?

2. Do you have other devices that are able to connect to the 5GHz band of the C6300?

3. Have you tried resetting the extender?

4. Was it working before?

5. Are you getting an error message? If yes, what is the error message?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 11
flyturbo
Apprentice

Come on Dexter!!! Why do you keep on wasting everyone's time??? Stop doing that  please, start advising people who are  experiencing issues with disconnects and/or no Internet with the EX8000 to simply return the units. I have been with tech support and Netgear engineers since July 2018 (80+ hours on the phone and troubleshooting) and nothing they asked me to do or latest firmware update have solved any of the issues.

What you should be telling everyone is to return the units ASAP. Please be honest with us.

NB: I'll be taking a screen capture of this post in the event it gets removed.

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@flyturbo wrote:

but they certainly aren't going to tell people to return their units.NB: I'll be taking a screen capture of this post in the event it gets removed.

Netgear certainly isn't going to tell people to return their units because of a firmware issue.  I get that you are angry, but you are basically spamming a bunch of different threads.  If I ran the forum, I would delete many of your posts.  Netgear tolerates at lot of criticism in these forums. 

I suspect that there is a fair amount of activity behind the scenes on these recent firmware issues.  Netgear generally doesn't anything about fixes that are in progress - not an approach I agree with myself, but since the mods are Netgear employees, they need to follow Netgear policies on public communications. 

Message 4 of 11
flyturbo
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

@flyturbo wrote:

but they certainly aren't going to tell people to return their units.NB: I'll be taking a screen capture of this post in the event it gets removed.

Netgear certainly isn't going to tell people to return their units because of a firmware issue.  I get that you are angry, but you are basically spamming a bunch of different threads.  If I ran the forum, I would delete many of your posts.  Netgear tolerates at lot of criticism in these forums. 

I suspect that there is a fair amount of activity behind the scenes on these recent firmware issues.  Netgear generally doesn't anything about fixes that are in progress - not an approach I agree with myself, but since the mods are Netgear employees, they need to follow Netgear policies on public communications. 

I'm spamming? Why did you post this reply publicly? Not surprised and was expecting you to make a comment on my posts. Wait, you can't get any attention anywhere else!

I'm offering others my experiencing with this unit, what exactly did you accomplish with your reply. I don't care about Netgear' s employees or policies, I know how it works and your reply was a real waste of time and useless. What I do care about is that others do return their unit because of what I have gone through. . 

Message 5 of 11
ryantonk
Tutor

1. Firmware is the latest

2. yes, other devices are able to connect to the routers 5ghx

3. yes, i reset it

4. i honeslty dont know if it was working before, i only recent checked it

5. no error messages, it simply doesnt connect.

One other thing is that i also changed the 5ghz channel on the router, that still didnt work.

I called Netgear, and they agreed to send me a warranty replacement extender. I can only hope that it will connect and doesnt have the same issue.

Message 6 of 11
flyturbo
Apprentice

@ryantonk wrote:

1. Firmware is the latest

2. yes, other devices are able to connect to the routers 5ghx

3. yes, i reset it

4. i honeslty dont know if it was working before, i only recent checked it

5. no error messages, it simply doesnt connect.

One other thing is that i also changed the 5ghz channel on the router, that still didnt work.

I called Netgear, and they agreed to send me a warranty replacement extender. I can only hope that it will connect and doesnt have the same issue.

I also had to request a replacement unit and unfortunately it made no difference. My unit was purchased in late in April, I can't get refund from Amazon, but I did request a full refund from Netgear and it as been approved. Now I have been testing the the extender with fixed Channels and it seems to be holding up. Today marks 3 days and no disconnects with firmware 1.0.1.180 but I with the latest firmware, I experienced the same issues.

Message 7 of 11
ryantonk
Tutor

I received my warranty replacement extender, but it too doesn't connect to 5ghz. This thing is a piece of junk
Message 8 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ryantonk,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 9 of 11
bignickolson
Aspirant

Bumping this.  I have a Nighthawk x6 r8000 and a nighthawk EX8000 extender

Router is firmware V1.0.4.28_10.1.54

Extender says there is no new firmware available

I used to have my router have separate SSIDs for 2Ghz and 5Ghz bands. The extender connected to and extended both.

I recently change so both use the same SSID/password.  The extender can see my 2.4ghz band and both 5ghz bands, all the same SSID.  But when I try to setup the extender it never connects to the 5ghz band. 

I've rebooted, I've done it with them sitting 2 feet apart but nothing seems to work.  I go through the setup and it connects to the 2.4ghz band but tells me it can't connect to the 5Ghz band.

Any thoughts

Message 10 of 11
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello bignickolson, 

Thank you for your post. If you're still experiencing issues, have you gotten a chance to take a look at the KB article linked below? The following article suggests that you change the wireless channel on your home router to see if the connectivity improves.

https://kb.netgear.com/25057/NETGEAR-Range-Extender-is-not-detecting-the-5GHz-wireless-band-of-the-N...

Looking forward to hearing back from you! 

~Christian 

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7