× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ex8000 new firmware released : V1.0.1.186 no release notes yet

ChrisL1971
Guide

ex8000 new firmware released : V1.0.1.186 no release notes yet

Hello,

a new firmware has been released if you press the check update button on the EX8000. This update includes a guest mode but there are no release notes yet.  No idea how it works in AP mode.

Chris

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

It's not posted at the ex8000 support page either (which shows 1.0.1.180), which is unusual.

Message 2 of 8
flyturbo
Apprentice

How about Netgear fixing connection issues that everyone is complaining about before implementing new features? Oh wait, they totally missed the boat on Guest mode. In took what almost a year to figure out that Guest mode is missing?

Message 3 of 8
ChrisL1971
Guide

Flyturbo,

I've using it now in AP mode and that works without a problem. The only issue is that the Connected Devices menu is not showing any devices by default. pless the reload button and you get answers like this: <unknown> as device name. Better to try to connect all range extenders with a (ehternet over power) cable.

Message 4 of 8
flyturbo
Apprentice

@ChrisL1971 wrote:

Flyturbo,

I've using it now in AP mode and that works without a problem. The only issue is that the Connected Devices menu is not showing any devices by default. pless the reload button and you get answers like this: <unknown> as device name. Better to try to connect all range extenders with a (ehternet over power) cable.

What units are you using for Ethernet over power? I have test the EX8000 in AP mode and works but I have the unit right next to my router. My question is can I use both router and the EX8000 in AP mode to supply WiFi to clients?

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@flyturbo wrote: 

I have test the EX8000 in AP mode and works but I have the unit right next to my router. My question is can I use both router and the EX8000 in AP mode to supply WiFi to clients?

You can, but that doesn't make much sense if the EX8000 is right next to the router.  

If you are looking for a powerline ethernet product, I'd suggest pairing the EX8000 with the PLP2000.  The EX8000 is a high end extender/AP, so you want the fastest ethernet backhaul you can get.  Powerline link speeds are much higher than their real-world throughput, so they aren't a useful guide when purchasing.  https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/default.aspx

But I'd first try it in extender mode.

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@flyturbo wrote:

How about Netgear fixing connection issues that everyone is complaining about before implementing new features?

Appears Netgear does not see these issues in the lab or in QA. For the non-EX8000 owner: Are the problems similar to what we experience on the EX7000 with the recent firmware (which was adding Mesh capabilities - whatever that might be)?

@flyturbo wrote:

Oh wait, they totally missed the boat on Guest mode. In took what almost a year to figure out that Guest mode is missing?

Hm, that was probably the most missing feature since Netgear does make WiFi Range Extenders.

Message 7 of 8
Roofer4Life
Guide

Don’t upgrade to this firmware! Connection goes out often and it is unusable.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7