× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ex8000's aren't giving the results promised

AHR6912
Guide

ex8000's aren't giving the results promised

Hi all,

Using Spectrum Cable's 400 mbps service, from their modem to my RX500 wifi router, then hard wired to 3 different EX8000's, distributed through out the home in Access Point configuration as they all share the same SSID. Problem, when using a wifi analizer appi t shows 6 different SSID'S on one 2.4 or 5ghz meters insted of the 3 only that are installed. Shouldn't there be 3 only showing on the app's meter screen either 2.4 or 5 ghz?

If I've completely screwed up, is there a YT URL of someone that shows how to set these extenders up so they EXTEND the wifi's signal throughout the 155ft long home using onne SSID? Thanks

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
AHR6912
Guide

Use this for more than one extender. Ie. Ex8000, 3 of them placed in farest areas in your home from the wifi router.

Order of install:
Reset extender, push on/off button to off, plug it in, keep holding down the reset button with a pin, then press the on/off button to on.
The green light is first, then turns to a red light, then it turns to a blinking red light, then release the reset button, the power light turns green.
Wait for the leds to stop blinking on the front.
Only the 2.4ghz will be on.
Turn the extender off then on.
Plug in a ethernet cable from the wifi router to the extender.
Far right front led, lights white.
Press WPS on wifi router ie. rx500
Then press WPS on the extender.
Wait a minute.
Go to a desktop computer, enter http://mywifiext/
The screen should say "new extender setup". Select it.
Agree
Answer questions.
Make a good user name. Not your email. Then password.
Next
Each unit has its user name and password.
Make each unit a unique name and pw.
User= abcd1 
Pw=abcd1

When its time for the next unit repeat user name but change 1 to 2. Do the same for the unit's password abcd2.
Sign into your Netgear account.
Turn off, then on, the extender at this time. Again, wait for the lights to stop blinking, they will, I promise.

On the desktop.
Enter the user name and PW.
Go through the screens that you need to change.
Remember updates and wait times for various software interactions do take up a lot of time.
Remove access to the guest network or not.
Save
Check for firmware updates or not.
Go to status in the menu (left-hand top screen).
Wait for the screen to refresh.
If it doesn't, close browser, sign in to mywifiext again on a new browser window, like you did in the beginning.
You may have to sign in to your Netgear Account to add this unit.
After that.
Select Smart Connect or not.
Choose to enable AP or not.
Make changes, wifi channel, wifi speed, double-check PW in the middle of the screen, called the Access Point Network box.
Wait a long time for the interface to accept changes. You can always watch the lights on the extender. lol.
Next
Make sure you check the tiny box in the next window and hit continue at the bottom.
SUCCESS
Next
Ok done.

If at any time you can't move forward, restart the extender and the mywifiext address in a new browser.
Hope this helps anyone who needs more than one extender and connective signal with one SSID name for their WI-FI.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies

@AHR6912 wrote:

Problem, when using a wifi analizer appi t shows 6 different SSID'S on one 2.4 or 5ghz meters insted of the 3 only that are installed. Shouldn't there be 3 only showing on the app's meter screen either 2.4 or 5 ghz?

Not sure that I understand that, but I do know that you may be asking in the wrong place.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so there may be useful responses here, but you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device and problem, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

The ssids will show as differentt if setup in access point mode and extender mode if you have a good enough scanner.

In extender mode (not hardwired) they can be names the same but it is a seperate ssid. All networks will show up like this with a good enough scanner. They also should be on the same channel. And its smart roaming protocols are enabled. You'll have 2x ssid's available on the fronthaul and the 1 dedicated backhaul connection to the router. 

In access point mode (hardwired), its its own network. It can be named the same or separate but it should be on a seperate channel so its not interfering with the other AP's. It doesn't have its smart roaming feautures enabled. So devices will tend to not roam as well.  They'll still roam based of their own roaming protocols but not as efficiencly.  You'll have access to all 3x bands  since its using a dedicated wired backhaul. 

If you're truly wanting a seamless network and hardwired backhaul, check into the orbi or MK series of nighthawk. They're the only consumer devices from netgear that support mesh/smart roaming fully functional with both wired/wireless backhaul. Using wired access points like the EX8000 won't make a mesh network. 

Message 3 of 6
AHR6912
Guide

Wow, michaelkenward what a great suggestion, you hit right on the nose, dad. Wish I knew you growing up. Thanks for answering the question. Hooking up 3 EX8000'S to a XR500 using one SSID. Hope the moderator is paying close attention to your valuable insights. Really???
Message 4 of 6
AHR6912
Guide

Thank you for YOUR valuable information. It will take me a while to digest it. I will try it step by step to get these to work better. I mean, I'm getting great signal strength throughout the home the way I configured them presently. Just would like to know why my analyzer is reporting more (5) SSID's in the same name as I have units (3) configured. Thanks again. Valuable.
Message 5 of 6
AHR6912
Guide

Use this for more than one extender. Ie. Ex8000, 3 of them placed in farest areas in your home from the wifi router.

Order of install:
Reset extender, push on/off button to off, plug it in, keep holding down the reset button with a pin, then press the on/off button to on.
The green light is first, then turns to a red light, then it turns to a blinking red light, then release the reset button, the power light turns green.
Wait for the leds to stop blinking on the front.
Only the 2.4ghz will be on.
Turn the extender off then on.
Plug in a ethernet cable from the wifi router to the extender.
Far right front led, lights white.
Press WPS on wifi router ie. rx500
Then press WPS on the extender.
Wait a minute.
Go to a desktop computer, enter http://mywifiext/
The screen should say "new extender setup". Select it.
Agree
Answer questions.
Make a good user name. Not your email. Then password.
Next
Each unit has its user name and password.
Make each unit a unique name and pw.
User= abcd1 
Pw=abcd1

When its time for the next unit repeat user name but change 1 to 2. Do the same for the unit's password abcd2.
Sign into your Netgear account.
Turn off, then on, the extender at this time. Again, wait for the lights to stop blinking, they will, I promise.

On the desktop.
Enter the user name and PW.
Go through the screens that you need to change.
Remember updates and wait times for various software interactions do take up a lot of time.
Remove access to the guest network or not.
Save
Check for firmware updates or not.
Go to status in the menu (left-hand top screen).
Wait for the screen to refresh.
If it doesn't, close browser, sign in to mywifiext again on a new browser window, like you did in the beginning.
You may have to sign in to your Netgear Account to add this unit.
After that.
Select Smart Connect or not.
Choose to enable AP or not.
Make changes, wifi channel, wifi speed, double-check PW in the middle of the screen, called the Access Point Network box.
Wait a long time for the interface to accept changes. You can always watch the lights on the extender. lol.
Next
Make sure you check the tiny box in the next window and hit continue at the bottom.
SUCCESS
Next
Ok done.

If at any time you can't move forward, restart the extender and the mywifiext address in a new browser.
Hope this helps anyone who needs more than one extender and connective signal with one SSID name for their WI-FI.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7