× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

extend wifi with 2 EX7000 extenders in serial; is it possible?

harkelaar
Initiate

extend wifi with 2 EX7000 extenders in serial; is it possible?

My new home has 4 floors (with concrete walls).At the first floor I have my Wan-modem connected to my R7000 AC1900 router. On the second floor I will put an EX7000 (wired) as an range extender. On the third floor I want to put another EX7000 (non-wired). Will the first EX7000 work as a 'host' for the second EX7000? or will it only connect to the R7000?

So will it work in serial?

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: extend wifi with 2 EX7000 extenders in serial; is it possible?

So you're going:

R7000-----wire------>EX7000-----wireless------>EX7000

You should be able to do this if you have a decent signal at the 2nd ex7000. The downfall to range extenders is they need a decent signal to pick up and repeat. If the concrete is blocking wifi sufficiently, they don't help a whole lot unless you wire them in. 

Message 2 of 5

Where possible, consider using Powerline Ethernet to connect hardwired kit.

You can even get powerline with integrated access points to reach remote bits of your mansion. Or you can use a plug as the source for a wired AP.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

Message 3 of 5
harkelaar
Initiate

Yes it worked (I got a second secondhand ex7000). And I found a way to get it wired too on the third floor. So all will be working out fine

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working fine!

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7