× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: extender 5g wireless switching off

Kiwi-ET
Aspirant

extender 5g wireless switching off

Firmware: V1.0.0.66_1.0.126.     OS: MacOS Mojave (iMac and MacBookPro)  Router: Netgear VMDG485 (Virgin Media - Super Hub 2)

The 5G extender wireless network dropped out while it was being used. There does not seem to be a log that I can access to see what the problem is.

I notice that the status on the admin page suggests that it has switched to using 2.4G to access the router.

I am aware that there is a firmware update available (1.0.1.78_1.0.140) but when I installed that the extender kept rebooting and locking up.

I noticed that it dropped a ethernet connection reporting that the cable was broken when it wasn't.

Any suggestions as to the cause of these problems?

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 12
Kiwi-ET
Aspirant

I have just restarter the extender. The 5G network is now avaialbe but the router light for the 5G network is off.

Message 2 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Kiwi-ET - Please check your router's settings and ensure 5G is enabled. 

~Christian

Message 3 of 12
Kiwi-ET
Aspirant

5G is enabled on both the router and the extender. On the router bith the 2G and 5G bands had the same SSID. I have now changed this to separate names. The extender had different SSIDs for its 2G and 5G channels and both were enabled.

The extender is now showing both the 2G and 5G chammels as active but I really don't want 4 published SSIDs. The extender seemed to be selecting the 2G channel to bridge to the router and disabling the 5G band. Now that I have different named channels, it seems to be enabling both.

Message 4 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Kiwi-ET, 

I would like to follow up and ask if you're still experiencing the same issue and/or if you require further assistance. 

Happy Holidays!

~Christian 

Message 5 of 12
Kiwi-ET
Aspirant

I would like to know whether this is the expected way to set these up. I was under the impression that an extebnder should use the same SSID as the base wireless network and that devices would then all appear as though they are on the same network. If even having the router bands on the same SSID causes one of the extender bands to stop functioning and you have to set the router bands on separate SSIDs then you areback to having to decide what to connect to. That is the state that I now have and find unacceptable although so far seems stable.

Message 6 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Kiwi-ET, 

During the setup you will have the option to use a similar SSID for the router band that the extender is connecting to. I also wanted to confirm if you're using the extender in extender or AP mode as you mentioned an ethernet connection in your initial post. 

Also, since you rolled back the FW, have you performed a factory reset on the extender? If not, please do so. 

~Christian 

Message 7 of 12
Kiwi-ET
Aspirant

It is set up in extender mode. It has atached to NAS drives, a Sonos Bridge, and an old HP Laser printer. I was trying to connect a MacBook Pro via ethernet LAN but this seemed to get rejected so I am using wireless.

Because the NAS drives are used for Time Machine backups, I am connecting to the wireless network on the extender rather than the router. THis is simply to try amd reduce wireless traffic.

When I was setting up the extender reconmmended a different wireless network name. I cannot remember the explanation. The newer firmware certainly seemed to prefer the same SSID but it keep rebooting so I downgraded.

Message 8 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Kiwi-ET, 

Thanks for confirming. If you wish to be contacted by support I can assist with them getting in contact with you for further assistance. If so, please send me a message with your contact details. 

~Christian 

Message 9 of 12
Kiwi-ET
Aspirant

It seems stable at the moment although not setup the way that I had hoped. I will leave it until a new firmware release comes out that solves the issues of rebooting with the current firmware.

Message 10 of 12
Kiwi-ET
Aspirant

This is proving frustrating after a period of what seemed to be stability, It has dropped out again and I restarted the extender. I would accept a support call now but I am not sure that I have the information that would help resolve the problems.

Message 11 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @Kiwi-ET

Please send me a message with your contact details and the serial number of your unit. 

~Christian 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7