× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: extender connected to 2.4 GHZ

srf2
Guide

extender connected to 2.4 GHZ

My wifi extender is only showing that it is connected to the 2.4 GHZ network. 5GHz network shows that it is disconnected. How do I fix this issue and have them both connected?

Model: EX6100|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

1. what router is it connected to? 

2. How far from the router is it? 2.4ghz broadcasts further and through more materials than 5ghz. If you're to far away or to much material in the way, th 2.4ghz will work but not the 5ghz

3. Did you set it up via the WPS method? or using the installation assistant? 

Message 2 of 8
srf2
Guide

I have it set up to a Nighthawk AC2100. I did set it up throught the WPS method. 

It  is far away from the router, so that may be the issue. However last night when I was trying to download the update and then check the setting I did have the extender in a hallway close to the router. It still showed that the 5Ghz was disconnected. 

I am in a multi level home so I am placing the extender on a lower level. I guess as long as the 2.4 ghz works, I should be ok. 

Not sure if you have any other suggestions. 

Thanks

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Put the extender in the same room as the router and update it. 

Once update it, try several different locations around the home. 

What are the wall materials made of? 

Message 4 of 8
srf2
Guide

Thank you for your help and suggestions. 

I did update the router and extender. I placed the extender in the room where I need it to be and it still shows that the 5Ghz is disconnected. However when I try to connect wireless devices to that setting it will connect. It connects to both the 2.4 and  ghz. I really don't understand. Since my extender and wifi is working in the rooms that I need to have wifi, I am just going to leave the extender as is. I don't want to mess it up and have it not work. 

Thanks for your help

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Did you ever try setting it up using the installation assistant and not wps? 

Many times there's issues with wps between device manufacturers. 

Message 6 of 8
srf2
Guide

Thanks for your reply. 

I did have to reset it up because I kept getting kicked off the internet. I did end up using the installation set up. The netgear log in just poped up on the computer and when I logged in it was starting my set up. I also moved the router extender closer to the router. So I will see what happens. Hopefully everything will stay connected and work as this is too much technology problems for me. 

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Hope it works!

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7