× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

extenders

blinke
Aspirant

extenders

Hey everyone,

I was wondering, at this time I've got on extender on my home network and I would like to add another one so the signal in my basement is strong which at this time is very weak. Should this be possible?

Thanks

Bill

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: extenders

yes you can use multiple extenders. With that said, there's certain conditions that make it function with less issues. 

1. If you're using multiple extenders, make sure the extenders have unique ssids or they'll try to connect to each other and you'll have repeated connections drops. If they aren't in range of each other, you don't need to worry about this. But most extenders can see each other. 

2. Idealy, it works best if you don't daisy chain extenders. What i mean is this:

Daisy chain:  Router------>extender------>extender.    tends to have significantly slower speeds and higher latency.

If you can go with a star configuration, it tends to work the best. Star is:

Extender<---------router-------->extender.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: extenders

yes you can use multiple extenders. With that said, there's certain conditions that make it function with less issues. 

1. If you're using multiple extenders, make sure the extenders have unique ssids or they'll try to connect to each other and you'll have repeated connections drops. If they aren't in range of each other, you don't need to worry about this. But most extenders can see each other. 

2. Idealy, it works best if you don't daisy chain extenders. What i mean is this:

Daisy chain:  Router------>extender------>extender.    tends to have significantly slower speeds and higher latency.

If you can go with a star configuration, it tends to work the best. Star is:

Extender<---------router-------->extender.  

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7