× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

getting 2 nighthawk mesh extenders to work together

claudio8
Tutor

getting 2 nighthawk mesh extenders to work together

I have an EX7700 mesh extender on my system and am trying to add a EX7300v2 to it.  One seems to interfere with the other one.  I understand that I need to change the SSID on the second mesh extender to avoid conflicts.  I can't figure out how to do that.  I tried the mywifi ext approach and that seems to want to set up a new extender altogether.  I have been through the KB articles and am now more confused.  How do I go about setting up the second extender.  Explain it to a simpleton.  Thanks.

The router is an ATT gateway.  windows 10/11.

Message 1 of 27
plemans
Guru

Re: getting 2 nighthawk mesh extenders to work together

Are you able to connect to the EX7300 using the mywifiext . net address and start setup? 

During the setup process, there's an option to use the same ssid or to change it. During that is when you'd change it. 

Message 2 of 27
claudio8
Tutor

When I enter a new SSID would each device connecting to that extender login to that extender rather than the router and other extender(EX7700).  I.E., would two networks be running from the same router?  Does the new extender with the new password still get internet from the router?  Sorry for being so dense.  Thanks.

Message 3 of 27
plemans
Guru

@claudio8 wrote:

When I enter a new SSID would each device connecting to that extender login to that extender rather than the router and other extender(EX7700). ---if you used a different ssid on the extender, you'd choose which to connect to. 

I.E., would two networks be running from the same router? ---not sure what you mean by this. Both extenders would be connecting and functioning.  Does the new extender with the new password still get internet from the router?---yes it would.   Sorry for being so dense.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 27
claudio8
Tutor

Well, I was able to change the SSID on the EX7300 and it shows up on my list of available networks.  But when I connect to it, there is no internet and the EX7300 does not appear to be connected to the router.  I wish Netgear would publish a detailed instruction sheet  on how to do this.  What should be a 15 minute project is a multihour, multiday operation.  The top 2 lights on the EX7300 are unlit.  The Ex7700 is functioning properly.  Any further suggestions?  Thanks.

Message 5 of 27
claudio8
Tutor

Additionally, After getting into the extender setup and changing the SSID,  I am now able to pull up that new network on the dopdown menu and log into it.  When I do that the client link light turns on, becomes green, and the connection is established with the extender.  The router link light stays off.  There is no internet and no connection with the router.  How do I get the extender to connect with the router if they are on 2 different SSID's.  There now is no apparent conflict with the other extender(EX7700) which continues to work just fine.  I hate to be a dog with a bone but after having invested so much time in this, I don't to give up now and chalk it up to the school of hard knocks.

Model: EX7300v2|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 6 of 27
plemans
Guru

what router are you connecting to? 

When you're setting up the 2nd extender, did you try powering off the working one (just for setup)

Message 7 of 27
claudio8
Tutor

My router is an AT&T U-verse Gateway Model 5268AC FXN manufactured by Pace.  I think I did turn off the EX7700 when setting up the EX7300 but am not certain.  Should I redo the setup on the EX7300 again making sure the EX7700 is off?  Should I do a factory reset on the EX7300 before doing so?  When setting up the SSID I added a number after the original SSID of the router,  e.g., Smith and Smith2 but used the same password.  Thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 27
plemans
Guru

Never hurts to factory reset/reinstall with the other extender off and try it. 

Message 9 of 27
claudio8
Tutor

I tried the factory reset and that didn't seem to reset anything.  At this point I am going say "uncle" and quit beating a dead horse.  I will just stick with the EX7700 and put the 7300 in a shoebox.  Thanks for trying to help me.

Message 10 of 27
claudio8
Tutor

After 6 months, I am taking the ex7300v2 out of the show box and going to attempt to connect it again.   The only difference now is my router is upgraded to the ATT fiber router.  I plan to shut down everything else connected to the router including ex7700 and old wn2500rp before trying the setup.  Any suggestions before proceeding?  Thanks.

Message 11 of 27
plemans
Guru

Make sure the EX7300v2 has been factory reset and is running the latest firmware. 

Message 12 of 27
claudio8
Tutor

Update:  I was able to get the EX7300v2 set up and have a strong signal.  I then restarted the EX7700 and after several reboots got it working again.  The only difference now is that the EX7700 seems to have a weaker signal(amber) than it did before(despite not being moved).  It seems as if the EX7300 is sucking some of the strength of the router signal.  I then started the WN2500RP and that seems to be working okay.  

When I ran Fing, it picked up the 7300 just fine but not the 7700(even though the 7700 was working).  When I updated Fing, it picked both EX7300 and 7700 just fine.

In summary, the 2 mesh units and the non-mesh extender are playing together well(touch wood).  I am not sure what I did wrong 6 months ago but am glad I decided to give it another go.  Maybe the DCHP in the new router is better than the old one.  Thanks for all your help.

Message 13 of 27
claudio8
Tutor

I have two questions:

1.  As I stated earlier, the EX7700 is much closer to the gateway/router than the EX7300v2 and is unmoved from its previous location.  When it was the sole mesh device the signal was white but now is amber with the more distant EX7300v2 up and running.  The signal on the EX7300v2 is a strong green.  Can you explain the physics behind the dropping off of the signal strength to the EX7700?  

2. Additionally, the EX7700 seems to drop the connection to the DHCP on the router periodically.   This necessitates rebooting the EX7700.  The EX7700 has almost a direct light of sight to the router about 40-50 feet away.  I have a switch with 8 ports connected to the EX7700.  Once I reboot the EX7700, all the Ethernet-connected devices regain their IP addresses.

Of course, both the mesh devices are connected wirelessly.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Message 14 of 27
plemans
Guru

are they setup in mesh mode? 

What I mean, is the one extender might be connecting to the other extender versus the router. 

Message 15 of 27
claudio8
Tutor

Ah, how would I diagnose mesh vs direct connection to the router?  When I run Fing, they both have separate IP addresses.  When I added the EX7300v2, all other extenders(EX7700 and WN2500RP) were turned off.  Once 7300 was up and running, I switched the other two back on.

Message 16 of 27
claudio8
Tutor

Perhaps, 7700 is connecting to the distant 7300 and that may be why I'm getting an amber light.

Message 17 of 27
claudio8
Tutor

I just noticed in Fing that the 7700 has a domain listed as workgroup but the 7300 does have a domain.

Message 18 of 27
claudio8
Tutor

Additional info:

When I run the android version of Fing on a tablet, it shows a wifi icon like you would see on a telephone beside the EX7300v2 and says that "this is the access point" (even though the switch on the EX7300v2 is set to extender mode and not access point).  There is no similar message or icon beside the EX7700.   I'm guessing you are correct in thinking the 7700 is connecting to the 7300 and not the router.  How would I confirm this and change the setup so that there would be 2 access points not connected to each other?  Thanks for your help.

Message 19 of 27
plemans
Guru

Disable mesh mode on one of the extenders and set it with its own unique ssid. Then the 2nd extender they're only be the routers ssid to connect to. 

Just make sure the one with its own unique ssid is on the opposite side from the other extender so there's less of a risk of it still connecting to it. 

Again, this is the reason we usually recommend moving to a full mesh system like orbi so there's a router controlling what the satellites are connected to. 

Message 20 of 27
claudio8
Tutor

1. How does one disable mesh mode?  I thought that was innate on both these devices.  The 7300 has a swithch on the side for extender mode or access point.  The 7700 does have such a switch,  

2. Can you give me a step by step instructions on how to set the unique SSID and which one should I do that on?  The EX's are not on opposite sides but in a sort of dog-leg configuration on different floors.

3. Thanks for your help and sorry for all the hand holding.

Message 21 of 27
plemans
Guru

Message 22 of 27
claudio8
Tutor

I could not find a reference to disabling mesh mode in either user manual but I did find something called disable "One Wifi Name".  Is that what you meant?

Message 23 of 27
claudio8
Tutor

It seems as if disabling one mesh unit is only exchanging one problem for another.  Would it not be better to stick with a wounded mesh system even though one mesh unit is connecting to the other mesh unit rather than the router?  As currently configured, the system seems to be working fairly well.  Is there a downside to continuing as is?  Does this create any security risks?  I guess these individual mesh units are not truly "mesh" and hence the push for the orbi system.  A little upfront truthful advertising from Netgear would have avoided this situation.

Message 24 of 27
claudio8
Tutor

Update:  I am still running my system as a "walking wounded" or demi-Mesh setup.  Everything seems to be working well with good signal strength.  The light on my EX7700 is still amber.  I have no way of telling if this means the signal strength is not as strong as it should be or because it is connected to the EX7300v2.  Is there a way to tell what device the EX7700 is connected to, i.e., the router or the EX7300?  Fing shows a sole access point, the EX7300v2.

From a security point of view, are there any risks to continuing with my current setup?

Thanks for your help.

Message 25 of 27
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7