× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: have CAX80 router/modem, looking for a mesh extender

hussains1980
Tutor

have CAX80 router/modem, looking for a mesh extender

my CAX80 modem/router is not centrally located so a good part of the house gets great connection but other side and downstairs is ok, not great. tv's keep losing connection, can't hold it, lots of buffering. 

So, thinking of getting mesh extender. House is 2,400 sq. feet, two floors. Play online video games downstairs.  

Would netgear eax15 be a good option to provide extension needed? thoughts? 

thanks for any help/info

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

If it was me? I'd be either looking at the EX770/EX8000 from the AC line or the EAX80. 

The EAX12/EAX15/EAX20 are all base model AX extenders. While they'll work and provide good coverage, the tribands from the AC series will be faster and less latency. It isn't until you start getting to the EAX80 version that you'll see better speeds. The EAX80 might have a bit more latency because it doesn't have the dedicated backhaul of the tribands. 

Message 2 of 6
hussains1980
Tutor

thanks for the reply and info. Appreciate it. I'll look into the eax80. 

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Hope it works well for you!

I've got one that I've tested with my RAXE and and RAX200. Works well. I miss the dedicated backhaul of my EX8000 but the starting point is a bit higher with the EAX. 

Message 4 of 6
hussains1980
Tutor

hey, quick follow up question. a friend also recommended the orbi system. is that overkill or would that be also very useful?

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Tough to say 100%. I really like my orbi but my house is a bit bigger than yours. Plus you already have the CAX80. 

The CAX80 is a quite high performing device. I was actually using that for quite a while with an extender at my place and it worked great. 

So unless you can return your CAX device, buying into orbi is quite expensive. Versus I think just adding an extender will give you plenty of coverage in a 2400sqft home. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7