× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

help with NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Range Extender EX8000

MRMURPHMAN
Aspirant

help with NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Range Extender EX8000

Just finished configuring my new EX8000 and its working great but seeing some odd behavior on my FIOS home WIFI router that is the network access point being extended. So on the FIOS router, I control the ADMIN functions via the MY FIOS app on my mobile device or desktop/tablet/laptop etc... That app allows me the ability to see any/all devices connected to my 2G/5G netorks etc, it also allows me the ability to establish profiles, and shedules for those profiles for allowable online access time to mange my kids interbnet etc... I also get notfications via alert to mobile when any new device connects.

Soooo here is the issue I'm having or issue I need for support discussion on, in order to understand what is occurring.

Since the installation and successful link of the EX8000 to the FIOS WIFI router I am now continually getting notifications of new devices connecting to the networks, but from the same devices already connected previous day/earlier same day and previously "known" and authenticated. Additionally, control of the previously established USER profiles thru the MY FIOS admin interface based on device I/P address -  that I know are my kids devices - no longer seem to be in force , e.g. when I scheduled them to be "paused" from internet access on all thier devices they were still able to access and they still seemed to be connected. MYFIOS app showed pause schedules running and service paused but devices were still connected. Oddly, I can still disable the entire "guest" network - I have all my kids devices connected to one of the networks - via the MYFIOS interface so soe of the control seems to still exist from that side.  

So, do I need to seperatley manage profiles/accounts via the Nighthawk interface to the EX800 or is there some setting to allow the rules from the FIOS router to be the inforce rules ? Whats the story here? Anyone else ever hear/see such a thing?  Whats the deal with the multiple new device connection notifications from devices that are/have been already  connected and authenticated etc...?       

Thanks in advance 

Murph

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: help with NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Range Extender EX8000

Potentially you're getting notices when devices swith from the fios router to the extender. Have you checked to see if it corresponds to that? Its device controlled and not router/extender controlled when it switches between them. 

I'm not sure what a fix is for you with scheduling since its going through the fios router and being controlled by the fios device. the netgear extender doesn't have parental controls/circle/etc.  

Message 2 of 4
MRMURPHMAN
Aspirant

So - when I had a D-LINK extender set up (the d-link just plain stopped working for some reason, and was unable to re-set it no matter how many tries, so I upgraded to the NETGEAR EX8000) I was prompted to do so with network names that included a "EXT" to indicate they were extensions of the primary network names  - where as with the EX8000 it just took the names of the existing 2G/5G networks I had established in the FIOS router.

Can I modify the EX8000 network names to be unique and set unique passcodes so that I only allow devices to attach to those extended netowrks rather than the main FIOS WIFI router netowrks unless a device has also specifically already authenticated to one of those networks? 

I still dont understand why the profiles/rules and schedule did not work when I used the FIOS router to "PAUSE" internet access on devices I knew were my childrens, unless somehow they are being dynamically allocated new IPA's when attaching to the EX8000 and thus my rules were not in affect as they were set against different IPA or original IPA ?

Does the EX8000 via NIGHTHAWK interface allow me to shedule a routine like disabling intrernet access at a specific time for a configured network by its name or allow for device by device admin control/access control via scheduled routines?

Thanks again

Murph   

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

yes you can set unique names for the EX8000 wireless network. Just log into the extender and change the ssids

Again, I don't believe the nighthawk has any of its own scheduling routines. Those come from the router. maybe if you setup the unique ssid or set static ip addresses for your devices, the routines would stick

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7