× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

help with nighthawk r7000 and mesh network or range extender

JD987
Aspirant

help with nighthawk r7000 and mesh network or range extender

I am having wifi connection issues throughout my house, and was wondering if setting up a new mesh network, or putting in a range extender were my best option?  I can't seem to find a range extender that is designed specifically for my current router.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: help with nighthawk r7000 and mesh network or range extender

How  big is your home and what are the interior walls made of? 

Reason I ask is I usually only recommend range extenders if you're going to need 1 of them. 

If you're needing more than 1, then I'd recommend moving to a triband mesh system like orbi because it'll have better performance,stability/reliability. 

If you do go with a range extender, I'd recommend the line of tribands. They work much better. Standard single/dual bands takea  50% speed hit based off just how they have to work. Tribands have a 5ghz chip reserved just for router---extender communication. 

tribands: EX7500, EX7700, EX8000, RBS40V and RBS50Y both have an extender mode as well. RBS40V tends to be the cheapest

Message 2 of 4
JD987
Aspirant

Thank you for getting back to me and so quickly.  I see that you are very active on here, so I thank you very much!

The house is just under 2000 sq. feet.  Has a lot of walls, wood and normal sheet rock.  I have 2 stories, and it's not really an open floor plan.

I think I know all of those models you referred. but so that I am sure that I understand you, the RBS40V is the Orbi Smart Speaker and Satellite?

Is there anyone that you recommend over the others?

Thank you again!

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

2000sqft should be fine with just a router if its centrally located. Have you tried centrally locating it? also make sure when placing it to make sure its not in an area like a utility room with hvac that can block wifi. 

If you can't centrally locate it, a range extender certainly could help. 2000sqft is a bit small for needing a full mesh system so I'd try an extender. 

Any of the tribands would work.

The RBS40V is an orbi satellite (benefit if you do every upgrade to orbi) but it also has an extender mode for use in non-orbi systems. And a speaker 🙂

https://kb.netgear.com/000061427/How-do-I-setup-my-Orbi-Voice-RBS40V-in-Extender-Mode

Again, any of the tribands are going to give you better performance stabliity than the single/dual bands. I'm a fan of them for that area where you're only needing 1 extender. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7