× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: how do I setup a netgear prosafe wireless-N access point WNAP210 ?

Chewnacker
Aspirant

how do I setup a netgear prosafe wireless-N access point WNAP210 ?

Hello this is my first post here &  I am not sure if this is the right spot to ask

I have a netgear prosafe wireless-N access point WNAP210

I am very thick & not technically minded how do I get into this things settings & how do I  set it up to improve our wifi strength?

the power light is blinking green
the tick is blinking orange 
next symbol is blinking orange (looks like a line with 2 boxes underneath & box at top)
the wifi symbol bliking orange

Model: WNAP210|ProSafe Wireless-N Access Point
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Did some brief reading - as per the WNAP210 user manual, in factory default config, the DHCP client is disabled, and the LAN IP is 192.168.0.236:

===

The access point password is password, the access point DHCP client is disabled, the
default LAN IP address is 192.168.0.236, and the access point name is reset to the name
printed on the label on the bottom of the unit.
===

So it might be required again to reconfigure the network interface (the one used to connect to the router/LAN) to this 192.168.0.123/255.255.255.0 as explained before.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 22

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Netgear does provide fine documentation on both the WNAP210(v1) and the WNAP210(v2).

The WNAP210 User Manual, on p.7 does provide naming and indication states for the LEDs:

WNAP210 UM p7 LED.PNG

When focusing on the "Tick" resp. "Test" .. Blinking: The device is running a self-test or is loading software. This LED might blink for a minute before going off. If it continues to blink, it indicates a system fault.

Please confirm the LAN (Ethernet) port is connected using a healty cable to your router or in-house network infrastructure.

Appears your extender might require a factory reset or re-flashing (recovering) the firmware the hard way by tftp.

Message 2 of 22
Chewnacker
Aspirant

I have plugged in another power adapter & the lights seem to have settled down along the front of it 

power is allways on green (not flashing)
tick is not lit
WIFI symbol is flashing blue
the one with the 3 boxes is green occasionaly flickers

still no idea how to get into its settings 

ok i got it working but its open connection so need to figure out how to get into its settings & password it 

Message 3 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@Chewnacker wrote:

still no idea how to get into its settings 

ok i got it working but its open connection so need to figure out how to get into its settings & password it 

Use a Web browser and connect to the WNAP210 LAN IP address - which you can find from your DHCP server logs/attached devices list on your router for example. Don't forget to make a reservation to this address will be always the same - and document accordingly.

Message 4 of 22
Chewnacker
Aspirant

as said I am thick & not technically minded so I don't know how to do what you said

Connect to the access point by entering the default address of http://192.168.0.236 into
your browser

but it wont work it keeps saying site cant be reached took to long to respond 

Message 5 of 22
schumaku
Guru

Well, if you have it connected to your LAN and router, the router would have assigned an IP address matching the subnet. The default is only in place if you have a direct connection between a computer (where the interface must be manually configured into that same subnet 192.168.0.0/24 (255.255.255.0)) and/or no DHCP servers are on the LAN. That's OK for troubleshooting or some static config - but not good for the real world network management.

So open your undefined router Web UI, and check for Attached Devices, DHCP Table, System Logs with DHCP, ... however this is named - and find the wireless AP based on the MAC address printed on the WNAP210 label. 

Message 6 of 22
Chewnacker
Aspirant

it is a ASUS DSL-AC68U
Wireless-AC1900

I can get into its settings but I dont know where in there the attached devices info is 

Message 7 of 22
Chewnacker
Aspirant

Is there a uk based phone number for netgear so I can ring them for support ?

Message 8 of 22
schumaku
Guru

Check General -> Network Map -> Clients or the like. 

Why should Netgear support Asus routers? https://www.asus.com/Networking/DSLAC68U/HelpDesk_Manual/

Message 9 of 22
Chewnacker
Aspirant

well you did say 

So open your undefined router Web UI

I thought you would of wanted to know

Message 10 of 22
schumaku
Guru

So what's under General -> Network Map -> Clients ?

Message 11 of 22
Chewnacker
Aspirant

DESKTOP-99C75A6 (the modem/router)
HUAWEI_P30-9a16fcae1a0262 (phone)
amazon-e0bf75af2 (firestick i think)
NPI26D808 (printer)

Message 12 of 22
Chewnacker
Aspirant

Just seems very odd the wireless connection works but I can't access its settings 😞  just not secure to run it without a password I could have it without a password but we have students & we don't wont them on our internet when we have them 

Message 13 of 22
schumaku
Guru

You might consider a factory reset of the WNAP210 as per the User Manual.

On a reboot, I would guess the device will pick-up an IP address from the router's DHCP server.

If not, manually configure a computer, e.g. your windows system network interface (the one you can connect to that network) e.g. to the 192.168.0.123 IP address, MAsk 255.255.255.0, DEfault Gateway does ot matter try 192.168.0.1 ... then open the browser using the WNAP210 default LAN IP address to get to it's management interface.

Message 14 of 22
Chewnacker
Aspirant

as said before a few times I am thick & not technically minded if you can break it down for me really simple step by step in crayon if possible I will do what you said 

If not, manually configure a computer, e.g. your windows system network interface (the one you can connect to that network) e.g. to the 192.168.0.123 IP address, MAsk 255.255.255.0, DEfault Gateway does ot matter try 192.168.0.1 ... then open the browser using the WNAP210 default LAN IP address to get to it's management interface.

Message 15 of 22
schumaku
Guru

Start here https://kb.netgear.com/27476/How-do-I-set-a-static-IP-address-in-Windows

Check the current setting for automatic/DHCP - you have to return to this later again - otherwise no more Internet.

Message 16 of 22
Chewnacker
Aspirant

okay but where can I find this information ?

IP addressSubnet maskDefault gateway, and DNS server

Message 17 of 22
schumaku
Guru

IP 192.168.0.123
Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1 (irrelevant for this temporary setting)

DNS 192.168.0.1 (irrelevant for this temporary setting)

Apply (don't tick the test Internet or whatever connection).

Now open a Web browser on http://192.168.0.239/ (when I have it right - check the docs) - this should open the access point Web UI.

If not, try a factory reset - there is certainly a reset button (small hole) - again, check the docs. Let some time to reboot.

If this does not cure, return the network settings to the previous status (automatic).

Please understand I'm not Netgear - just a Netgear owner in Switzerland.

Message 18 of 22
Chewnacker
Aspirant

cheers for  trying to help but its not working guess I will have to wait for netgear to get back to me & answer the support ticket I have open with them

only thing I can think of is if I was to take this wireless access point around someones house & use there setup to get a password on it will the password still be there when I bring it back home & will it still work ?

Message 19 of 22
schumaku
Guru

Have tried to do a reset (rest button, about 10..15 seconds) and wait for the reboot?

Not sure how these elderly access points are configured following the factory default.

I would assume it will get an address from the router (or whatever DHCP server), then it should be reachable from a Web browser in plain http on that dfault IP. The configuration (eg. network name /SSID, and wireless security settings) would be retained of configured on a different network.

Message 20 of 22
schumaku
Guru

Did some brief reading - as per the WNAP210 user manual, in factory default config, the DHCP client is disabled, and the LAN IP is 192.168.0.236:

===

The access point password is password, the access point DHCP client is disabled, the
default LAN IP address is 192.168.0.236, and the access point name is reset to the name
printed on the label on the bottom of the unit.
===

So it might be required again to reconfigure the network interface (the one used to connect to the router/LAN) to this 192.168.0.123/255.255.255.0 as explained before.

Message 21 of 22
Chewnacker
Aspirant

I got it working finally up & running & passworded only toook me all day to work it out with your help & netgear on facebook chat...thank you

I entered in the settings contained in the attach file on to my pc
then connected the wireless access point directly to my pc & got into the settings finally
set the password

I think you was nearly there to just some different numbers to put in or that is what you told me either way it is working I am now happy....thank you again 

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7