× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: is Wn3000rp unable to change channel ?

phoneus
Novice

is Wn3000rp unable to change channel ?

Hi, I bought wifi repeater wn3000rp

I setup it to connect to my wifi network without problem and manage to browse the web, however I didn't manage to ask the repeater to change the channel of the repeated signal.

Even i tried to change the channel of my access point after setup the repeater, and the repeater changes alone to follow channel used by access point ... and of course when my device is between the two sources ( AP and repeater) wifi is lost because of obvious interference.

Are net gear engineers dummy ? or did I didn't look enough in the repeater settings ? WHERE CAN WE TELL REPEATER WHICH WIFI CHANNEL TO USE !

to do correct roaming, I need to set the samme ssid an change channel to a free channel eg my access point : channel 3 and my repeater channel 11.
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

extender it there is JOIN the existing network.

no different than wifi laptop connect to your existing wireless router. it does not need to choose channel
Message 2 of 7
luda
Initiate

The Extender is connected to a WLAN "NetNet" on Channel 1.
My new local WLAN "mynet" from the Extender uses the same Channel 1 !

So i have some interferences,
because i have two different networks on the same Channel !

Where I can change the channel on my sub - WLAN "mynet" ?

Best regards
Luda
Message 3 of 7
ebrenna
Aspirant

My repeater keeps connecting to my NEIGHBOUR'S router. I am unable to make it switch to my houseowner's router. (I have a flat in the same house and want to boost the signal, as he is letting me use his wifi.) Because of this the key I enter is not valid. (I don't know my neighbours key, and I don't want to connect to his router anyway.) And because of this I am unable to enter the repeater's setup through my browser. The Netgear repeater (WN3000RP) is hence useless to me, and I will return it to the dealer.
Message 4 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

ebrenna wrote:
My repeater keeps connecting to my NEIGHBOUR'S router. I am unable to make it switch to my houseowner's router. (I have a flat in the same house and want to boost the signal, as he is letting me use his wifi.) Because of this the key I enter is not valid. (I don't know my neighbours key, and I don't want to connect to his router anyway.) And because of this I am unable to enter the repeater's setup through my browser. The Netgear repeater (WN3000RP) is hence useless to me, and I will return it to the dealer.

what make you think it will connect if 'Not valid" If neighbor has no security just any wifi will connect to the when you drop the signal or have issues connecting to encrypted wifi. In PC you may able to adjust connect to preferred network which can make not to connect unsecure network.

extender will NOT connect by itself to a encrypted network that you don't even no their encrypted network. sounds like neighbor as has encryption

sounds like details are vague
Message 5 of 7

Why can no one seem to answer this question? It can't be rocket science?

Let me ask it again:

How can you change the wifi channel of the Netgear WN3000RP.?

Lets say the original wifi box uses channel 5. Surely the repeater will work better on another channel (ok - providing there's no overlap ) so say ch 11.
This procedure is recommended on the Net Gear website, but no where does it actually tell you how to change the WIFI channel of the repeater.
Is this done via the computer interface? where ?

And please whoever answers can we have explanations in english that we can actually understand. No offense intended, but there an awful lot of bad english on this forum which really is no help atall ! :confused:
Message 6 of 7
greenbandit
Aspirant

I have been asking the same question.
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=88208&highlight=wn3000rp+channel

I believe that the WN3000RP GUI does not allow the channel to be chosen, i.e. the _EXT network it creats seems to always be the same as the network it extends. I would guess that this is because a single radio is in the WN3000RP and it has to work using just a single channel.

I'm going to go back to using my WG602 with a wired connection to my main network, that way I can set a different channel (not that this solution helps you).

If by bad English you are referring to jmizoguchi, IMHO he spends a lot of time on this forum helping other people and I am very grateful for the help he has given me in the past. I agree that you will need to enter the correct key to connect to an encrypted network, that is not the fault of the WN3000RP.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7