× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

low speed when connected with ethernet cable to WN2000RPT

hourcadef
Aspirant

low speed when connected with ethernet cable to WN2000RPT

I just got my WN2000RPT and installed it without any issue.
It's working just fine but I have a very slow download speed while connecting with ethernet cable.
Using wifi from my laptop I reach a 20Mb/s download speed
While connected with ethernet cable from my desktop I only get 3Mb/s download
The strange thing is that ping and upload time are good and the same as when connecting with wifi.
Is there something limiting the download speed when connected with ethernet cable?
I would have expected to get about the same speed
I even tried to disable wifi extension to see if ethernet was working better but it didn't change anything
Thanks
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: low speed when connected with ethernet cable to WN2000RPT

I assume you tested the desktop straight to main router's LAN ports and speed is fine but not with extender.?
Message 2 of 7
hourcadef
Aspirant

Thanks for the idea
Actually, moving my desktop to the main router is going to take me some time.
So what I did is use my laptop.
Connecting by wifi to the main router from the same room the extender is located my download speed is about 40Mb/s just a bit less than directly connected with a cable to the main router.
Connecting by wifi to the extender, I get about 20Mb/s download which I would find OK for me.
Then I connected with an ethernet cable to the extender and..... I have 20Mb/s download.
So the issue seems to come from my desktop which tops at 4Mb/s.
I even tried to use the same cable as I used for my laptop test in case the other one is the problem but no way.
So I now have to understand why my PC is not able to reach this 20Mb/s download
The strange thing is that the ping and upload are OK.
And that before that, this desktop was connected to an ADSL box and was reaching 7 Mb/s without problem (that was my maximum at that time)
Any idea what could be the limiting factor here ?
The desktop is running Vista but I have another desktop running Linux and connected to the extender with another ethernet cable which is longer and I see the same kind of download speed at 4Mb/s.
Maybe the settings on the network card ? my laptop has a Gigabit card while the desktops have 100Mb cards but that should be suffisient to reach the 20Mb/s

Thanks a lot for the troubleshooting idea which helped a lot
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

40Mb/s just a bit less than directly connected with a cable to the main router.
Connecting by wifi to the extender, I get about 20Mb/s download which I would find OK for me.

expected on extender loosing half each time you extend

The desktop is running Vista but I have another desktop running Linux and connected to the extender with another ethernet cable which is longer and I see the same kind of download speed at 4Mb/s.
Maybe the settings on the network card ? my laptop has a Gigabit card while the desktops have 100Mb cards but that should be suffisient to reach the 20Mb/s

possible chipset communications issue between the two. Try finding newest driver if there is and possible try different network adapter
Message 4 of 7
hourcadef
Aspirant

Thanks
I checked the driver and it is the latest available.
I then tried network tweakings as explained at
http://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-7-vista-2008-tweaks-2574
Changing some of the parameters like the autotuninglevel and the congestion provider seems to increase the speed a little bit but I'm still in the 4Mb-5Mb range.

Is someone using Vista connected with ethernet cable to the extender and having a download speed of more than 10Mb ?
I'd be interested to know about the network settings that you have.
Thanks
Message 5 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Try different network adapter
Message 6 of 7
hourcadef
Aspirant

I didn't have time to look at this again until today where I spent some hours playing with the Vista TCP tuning nightmare without much results.
But just at the time I was about to stop for the day I found the solution.

I already thought that the fact that the laptop which was getting a very good 20Mb download rate while plugged in the extender had a 1G network card and that the desktop which had a very bad download rate had a 100Mb network card might be a part of the cause. Even if the 100Mb is far enough I was thinking that maybe there was a possible mismatch in the speeds.
And I finally found that the setting on the network adapter for the speed was set to 100Mb/s full duplex. I changed that to automatic negotiation and rebooted the machine and now I have my more than 20Mb download rate on the desktop too.:)
I think that the negotiation (which is leading to the same 100Mb/s full duplex) is leading to have the both sides aware of the speed while before that the PC was running at 100Mb/s but the extender was assuming 1Gb and that was the reason for the very bad rate.

I thought that might help someone experiencing the same issue.
I'd say if you have a 100Mb/s network card make sure that the speed is set to automatic negotiation so that the extender is aware of this speed.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7