× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: mesh extender EX6400

maxx1010
Aspirant

mesh extender EX6400

I think I had my extender working ok then I was adjusting in the settings on my computer. It's not working right now I can't even connect my smart tv to it. I reset my modem and extender. I can't figure this thing out

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

What router are you connecting to? 

What firmware is on the extender? 

What are the led's on the extender doing?

What settings were you adjustin? 

You said you reset. Did you do a full factory reset on both the router and extender or just reboot? 

Message 2 of 7
maxx1010
Aspirant

a verizon fios gateway and it is connected to it.

up to date firmware

all leds are on the yellow/green or whatever they are

no factory reset just unplugged and plugged back in.

so I got it to work naming the extenter with the EXT on the end of my network name and my tv is connected, but honestly which is better or easier to have the exact same name as my my fios gateway for the 2.4 and 5ghz? is it better to have different names? I am really confused. I had a tkt with netgear tried calling on hold forever then got cut off while holding for them, a little frustrated with this extender.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

@maxx1010 wrote:

a verizon fios gateway and it is connected to it.----not very descriptive. Fios makes a lot of different gateways. 

up to date firmware---it changes or others in the future won't know which version you're on. its why we ask. 

all leds are on the yellow/green or whatever they are----it has green/amber/red. the manual describes what each means. 

no factory reset just unplugged and plugged back in.------A reset is worth a chance if you're having issues. 

so I got it to work naming the extenter with the EXT on the end of my network name and my tv is connected, but honestly which is better or easier to have the exact same name as my my fios gateway for the 2.4 and 5ghz? is it better to have different names?----it all depends on the user and how it performs. In areas with over saturated 2.4ghz signals, seperating them out can help so you can direct which band devices should be on. In area's without much wifi signals, the band steering works well. So its really up to personal preference and how it performs for you.  I am really confused. I had a tkt with netgear tried calling on hold forever then got cut off while holding for them, a little frustrated with this extender.-----The call centers are overwhelmed with employees working from home and with people upgrading their networks after discovering their networks weren't up to working from home. Kind of the perfect storm. 

You can find the manual here. Just make sure you select the correct version. There's more than 1 version of the EX6400

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX6400.aspx

Message 4 of 7
maxx1010
Aspirant

Fios-G1100 gateway router

firmware V10.0.124

all lights solid green

thank you by the way for trying to help!

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Did you say you got it working? 

did you set it up via the wps method or manual installtion method. 

Message 6 of 7
maxx1010
Aspirant

I used the app method to set up.

now in the mesh settings I did some changing from yesterday and I guess I shouldn't have touched it. I was using the same 2.4 and 5 ghz names . then I did something and everything got messed up. then I changed in the settings to add EXT after each 2.4 and 5ghz. and I got my tv connected that way but I think I want to make everything the same name again but I'm afraid of messing with this anymore. This isn't easy for me honestly.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7