× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

multiple wifi extenders on one network?

gascomp
Aspirant

multiple wifi extenders on one network?

Have installed one WN1000RP on home network that works fine but wanted to extend coverage to far corner of house. Purchased duplicate extender and when I try to use it the LED shows strong wifi signal until I try to connect a tablet or phone to it - when I try this, signal light goes from green to red.

Is it possible to use two separate extenders on one network?

Thanks for any info
Message 1 of 5
covillen1
Apprentice

Re: multiple wifi extenders on one network?

Hey gascomp,

I'm pretty sure you can have multiple extenders on one network. I would recommend trying a couple of these options

1.Assign the same SSID name and log in credential to both extenders but use different channels. Hopefully your devices will switch over to the needed channel automatically when moving from location A to location B.

2. Try assign a different name to each extender and a different channel. This way you have two different extender on two different channels and you can isolate one extender if need be.

3. you may want to try disconnection the working extender from the network and connect the other one. Try the one you just got and make sure it works. Lets hope you didn't get a bad extender.

If the problem persist I would contact NETGEAR and ask them.
Message 2 of 5
gascomp
Aspirant

Tried each extender separately and each works OK but when you plug in the second one, one of the two will begin indicating no wifi signal. Could not figure out how to put each on a separate channel from the router so will just give it up as a bad idea. Thanks for your suggestion.
Message 3 of 5
fordem
Mentor

You can NOT put extenders on different channels - the extender has to receive the signal on whatever channel the router/access point is transmitting on.
Message 4 of 5
covillen1
Apprentice

gascomp

Sorry, my wording for #2 wasn't clear enough. What I meant to say change the name of each extender and then change the channel on the router not the extender. Thanks fordem for catching that.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7