× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: mywifiext.net

abebythec
Initiate

mywifiext.net

does this netgear link work anymore?

Message 1 of 11
Fairytail
Virtuoso

That is still working. That link is use to access the UI of netgear extenders.
Message 2 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That URL can be intercepted by the extender, but there are some cases where the extender will not see the URL from the computer e.g. if the computer is connected by Ethernet to the main router, or by WiFi using another access point. The computer will typically be set to use the DNS provided by the router, so the URL will be queried via the router and the extender may not be in the path of that traffic.
Message 3 of 11
abebythec
Initiate

Thanks.

I am trying to hook up the extender via Wi-Fi and the all that happens when it comes time to hook up to mywifiext.net I get to a netgear "oops" page.

?:(?
Message 4 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Could you possibly post a screengrab of that message please?
Message 5 of 11
juliefb
Tutor

I get the Oops page too. I even did the factory reset to the extender and still get it - on all devices in different browsers too. Tried calling support, but it hangs up on me at a certain point.

I have a screenshot, but don't see how to upload it?

I enter manually or click on the link for http://www.mywifiext.net and every single time it takes me to a page that says Oops, you got here by mistake, you should go to http://www.mywifiext.net - which is where I was trying to go?

Please help.
Message 6 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That ‘Oops!’ message does suggest what you should do, connect to the WiFi of the extender.

If you are seeing the ‘Oops!’ message then that’s an Internet based screen, and the URL is Netgear’s. You must have an internet connection to see that message. Now the fact that you are seeing it is most likely because your computer’s WiFi is not currently associated with the Extender, more likely it is associated with the Base Station (the WiFi router that the extender connects to). Take a look next time the message appears as see what WiFi Access Point the computer is associated with. Another possibility is that you also have a wired Ethernet connection to the LAN.
Message 7 of 11
juliefb
Tutor

I did manage to get past this - you have to try to connect to the extender in your network settings (on my Mac I clicked the wireless icon and my iPhone & iPad launched the genie automatically). Not sure exactly what that process is on a PC.

If you try to just go to the URL in your browser & not have the genie bring up the browser window, you will get the oops message.

I started another thread about the genie getting stuck.

Thanks!
Message 8 of 11
ruddyconsult
Initiate

My experience today with this domain name has been quite unsettling. Apparently the name has been hijacked, and is no longer under the control of Netgear Corp.  I find this apalling and entirely against the interests of millions of Netgear users. My screen shows that mywifiext.net is up for grabs in the domain name business, and it now links to other sites of questionable authenticity. Shame on Netgear for letting this happen. Connecting to one's extender as admin by alternative means is the only safe way to go now, and customers should be made aware of this.

Message 9 of 11
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The WiFi Extender log in page can also be accessed through mywifiext.net (without www.) or 192.168.1.250

I've linked a thread that has discussed a similar issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Repeaters/Can-t-access-Extender-via-www-mywifi...

I hope to hear back from you!

Regards,

NhanN

Message 10 of 11
ruddyconsult
Initiate

@nhann wrote:

I hope to hear back from you!

Regards,

NhanN

What do you expect to hear?

I was savy enough to help myself. Nonetheless many users have suffered much worse fates,as your link proves. The real question is: What should a co. like Netgear do better to prevent such user hardships? Answer: When you print a link in a user manual, guard that link's domain address and don't let it get spoofed.

Netgear, are you listening?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7