× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

need advice on best modem/router to go with EX8000

pthang
Aspirant

need advice on best modem/router to go with EX8000

i recently purchased a land line phone to finally start using the landline that comes with my cable package for my business line, and realized the netgear modem/router combo i have doesnt have the ability to hook up a phone to it. I have recently bought the Netgear EX8000 so i would like to keep that and buy a modem/router that will go best with it. the existing modem/router i have is a C6300 i believe. I would love to at the same time upgrade my modem/router to a better one, but i don't want to buy something that the EX8000 will either slow down, or not work well with. I also don't want to spend top dollar on the best modem/router out there if using the EX8000 is going to not allow those better features to actually work.... hopefully this makes sense and someone can point me in the right direction.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: need advice on best modem/router to go with EX8000

@pthang wrote:

woof, looks like im going to be out around $600-$700 to get 1gbps+ speeds when i already have a router/modem that gives me close to those speeds.

top of the line equipment is expensive. sorry.

You don't have to buy the best router as you can upgrade that as needed. You can also checkout amazon's renewed routers. They've had the orbi setups on there for pretty reasonable priced and the orbi's have been great (the triband ones). 

I would recommend buying a solid modem though as its the backbone of the whole system. plus you're kind of stuck because you want voice with it. There aren't that many voice modem's that support gigabit and voice. That's kind of what hits the wallet. without the voice, you can find them for almost half the price. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The EX8000 will work with most routers.
But not all modems will work with your isp. Especially ones that support voice and router capability. So you'd need to check with them first to figure out what modem/router/voice device will work with your service.
I'd recommend buying a modem/voice device and adding a router to it. it gives you a few more options versus trying for a 3 in 1 device.
Message 2 of 7
pthang
Aspirant

Ok, i have Xfinity which has a long list of acceptable options. Could you possibly fill me in on which features i should look for in the modem or are they all pretty generic? if i am going to do it id rather do it right (as long as its going to work well with the EX8000 which ive read some reviews suggesting certain devices dont work well with it). I know a decent amount about routers, but as far as the modem part of the device im not sure what i should be looking for as far as features, and speeds. 

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

If you're looking for a modem with voice, I think the cm1150v is the option with voice and docsis 3.1. It doesn't have an integrated router so you'd still need a router. But you could choose which router you'd prefer best for that. 

Message 4 of 7
pthang
Aspirant

woof, looks like im going to be out around $600-$700 to get 1gbps+ speeds when i already have a router/modem that gives me close to those speeds.

Message 5 of 7
pthang
Aspirant

Do you happen to have a router you would also suggest with this modem? everything i check online has very mixed reviews. 

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

@pthang wrote:

top of the line equipment is expensive. sorry.

You don't have to buy the best router as you can upgrade that as needed. You can also checkout amazon's renewed routers. They've had the orbi setups on there for pretty reasonable priced and the orbi's have been great (the triband ones). 

I would recommend buying a solid modem though as its the backbone of the whole system. plus you're kind of stuck because you want voice with it. There aren't that many voice modem's that support gigabit and voice. That's kind of what hits the wallet. without the voice, you can find them for almost half the price. 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7