× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

netgear wifi extender wn3000rp - cannot access the main pc from the wifi laptop

RobTripp
Initiate

netgear wifi extender wn3000rp - cannot access the main pc from the wifi laptop

I have networked a laptop via wifi to a PC using a HomeHub and the WN3000RP.  If I connect the Laptop via this 'Ext' connection I cannot access the PC, but can see it in the network list.  If I connect the laptop directly to the HomeHUb and on to the PC (not using the Externder's wifi connection), I can access the PC.  The PC can access the Laptop both on the direct HomeHub wifi and via the 'Ext'   wifi link.  I have tried resetting the Extender, but with no success.  As I can access both PC and Laptop via the Homehub/wifi it seems as though the Extender is blocking access to the Laptop from the PC.

Any suggestions, please?

Message 1 of 4
Linda92714
Aspirant

Re: netgear wifi extender wn3000rp - cannot access the main pc from the wifi laptop

I've been having the same problem for two weeks. My router is working fine. My iPhone and iPad find the Extender, CG3000D-1CXNAS, and seem to connect to it, but EVERY website asks for authentication - espn.com, apple,com, etc. Exception is Yahoo, which says it cannot connect to the server. I have done a factory reset; have said "Forget this Network", then re-entered my password and was able to JOIN the network, but same results many times. 

Message 2 of 4
RobTripp
Initiate

Re: netgear wifi extender wn3000rp - cannot access the main pc from the wifi laptop

Noted. 

I found Netgear Genie on the Netgear site and installed it.  This gave me a view of the network overall using the 2 wifi connections for the laptop: the Hub and the Extender (Ext).  It was obvious that the extender was being blocked by a Firewall (Norton IS 2015) so I wrote a new traffic rule for each computer specifically allowing in/out communication between the 2 computer identified specifically by IP adress of each.  I then moved that rule to the start of each PC's NIS Traffic rules (as everything else is subordinate.  I works!  Netgear Genie takes a few moments- minutes to find all the devices, but it worked.

COuld your problem be a 'rule' issue?

Here's the link to Netgear Genie:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx

Message 3 of 4
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you RobTripp for sharing your steps!

----

Hi Linda92714,

Let us know if RobTripp's steps work for you.
You can also try temporarily disabling your antivirus to see if your network issue is being affected by the firewall.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7