× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

new device name created when moving into mesh extender range

RickB3
Aspirant

new device name created when moving into mesh extender range

Hello.

I just replaced my 10 year old router with a new AX12, and because I was having issues with signal outside (wireless security cameras) I installed a X6 mesh extender downstairs.

I use Access Control to Deny new devices, and Smart Connect is on. I verified the Mesh Extender is not set up as an AP.

The issue I am having is, when I move a device from upstairs where the AX12 signal is the one devices connect to, I get an expected denial of connection with the devices' corret MAC showing for me to approve.

But when I move these devices downstairs, where the Mesh Extender is, they lose connection. The router shows 2 "new" connections, with completely different MAC addresses, with device names in a consistent format of DEV-XX:XX.XX.XX

Is it normal to have to approve each device at each connection point in a mesh network? where is it getting these divergent MAC addresses from? they're different every time so far.

I assumed the ability to "move seamlessly" meant explicit approval at the router for a device MAC would allow a device to "roam". But if they're being identified as different MAC devices downstairs on the X6, I can see why they fail.

Is there a way to configure my devices so each device only has one entry approved, and it has the device's actual MAC?

thanks in advance

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
RickB3
Aspirant

Re: new device name created when moving into mesh extender range

when looking at the X6, it wont allow me to use the 2.4 and 6 ghz network simultaneously in Smart Connect. the AX12 sets them with the same SSID and access password, but when I enable 2.4ghz in the X6, it refuses to allow the same SSID in both frequencies. As Ive got devices that need the 2.4ghz, I can't disable it. so  I guess I'm stuck managing devices twice?

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7