× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: nighthawk router R7000 and using extenders

kbelbert
Aspirant

nighthawk router R7000 and using extenders

Installed this router a month ago to replace an old netgear router as our internet company suggested our old router wasnt powerful enough. I dont see any difference in speed, but most frustrating, is our very spotty ability to stream on our 7 year old smart TV.

We have been using a Netgear extender that worked with our old router and I'm wondering if extenders need to be upgraded as routers do or if any extender will boost the signal adequately.  I cant think of any other reason why our streaming services (that run through our cable company) arent working on that TV.  

And how do I know which extender will work if I need a new one?

Thanks for your help.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

What modem do you have? 

What firmware is on the R7000?

What extender do you have? 

Are you streaming over 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

Message 2 of 11
kbelbert
Aspirant

Spectrum supplied the modem : E31T2V1

No idea what firmware is on the router--I am very tech challenged--where would I find that on the device?

Extender: WN3000RPv3

Not sure which we are streaming on, 2.4 oe 5G. Since our TV is 7 years old, is it possible it doesnt have 5G capacity?

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

@kbelbert wrote:

Spectrum supplied the modem : E31T2V1

No idea what firmware is on the router--I am very tech challenged--where would I find that on the device?----on the status page if you log in through the browser. 

Extender: WN3000RPv3----pretty much a base model 2.4ghz extender. I wouldn't use it for HD streaming. 

Not sure which we are streaming on, 2.4 oe 5G. Since our TV is 7 years old, is it possible it doesnt have 5G capacity?---anythings possible. but if you have a model number, we can look it up. Just make sure if you're streaming to have the tv connected to 5ghz. 2.4ghz is much much slower and sensitive to interference. this can cause issues. 

Message 4 of 11
kbelbert
Aspirant

firmware V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

What extender would you suggest?

Samsung LED TV Model 7100

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

there's different versions of the samsung 7100. Which one do you have? 

In terms of extenders, I'm a fan of the tri-band line. They don't drop speeds nearly as much as the dual band versions. 

the r7000 isn't known for great firmwares. 

What I'd try first is upgrade to the latest version 1.0.11.110. do it over a hardwired connection, then factory reset after the firmware upgrade, and then do a clean install (not using a backup configuration)

If that doesn't help, try version 1.0.9.42 of the firmware. Its the agreed upon most stable version of the firmware. again install over ethernet, reset, and clean install. 

Message 6 of 11
kbelbert
Aspirant

We also have a new Samsung smart TV that we have no problem streaming through the internet without going through our cable company. It's upstairs, where the router is located, though in a different room.

Message 7 of 11
kbelbert
Aspirant

Thank you. I'm afraid the firmware upgrade insructions are way beyond me.  Perhaps I need to call support and they can walk me through it like they did for installation (which took 3 hours and had my daughter not been here, it would have never happened. The tech told us we had a defective router 2 hours into the call, and then my daughter got involved and the router was installed and working.) Presumably an upgrade wont be the same difficult process?

Also, do extenders have firmware or do they just use the router's?

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

Not to be rude but if you had that much issues setting it up before, it might be worth waiting for your daughter to help with the firmware changes and setup. 

I'd simply try to make sure you get your tv on the 5ghz band for now. 

Let her help with the firmware. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23442/How-do-I-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router-with-a-web-browser

Message 9 of 11
kbelbert
Aspirant

Thank you. Not rude at all but practical.  Unfortunatley my daughter has gone home to another state.  And i just tried to update the firmware based on a  security email I received to do so and found there is no update.  All very confusing.

Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

The auto-update rarely has the latest version. 

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7