× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

onn brand streaming not working

rgerst
Aspirant

onn brand streaming not working

I just installed the netgear wifi mesh extender. It works great for my phone and lap top, but my onn stick streaming does not.... it sees the network with great signal strength. but when you try to connect it says it cannot find it.... if I hook up my my rockspace wifi extender coming off of my netgear wifi it works fine... I got this so I would not have to use my rockspace one as I want to locate it somewhere else.

Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Re: onn brand streaming not working

What extender do you have? 

What router did you connect it to? 

What firmware is on the extender? 

What method of setup did you use? WPS or the browser based installation assistant?

Message 2 of 13
rgerst
Aspirant

its a mediacom router, i used the nighthawk app to install it as per its instructions, its weird that my onn stick does not recognize it... my original extender will find this new one and boost from it an my onn stick will hook to it just fine... I am not a technical person at all.... its just wierd

Message 3 of 13
rgerst
Aspirant

its a netgear ac1900 dual band wifi mesh extender, model ex6400

Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

the onn stick doesn't see the ssid at all?

what channels do you have the router set to use? (and the extender if its in AP mode)

Message 5 of 13
rgerst
Aspirant

I have no idea... the cable company set  up my router last summer, I didnt set anything on the router or extender. It just followed the steps to set it up... works for the lap top.. phone.. and the onn sees the network as a choice with a strong signal... but when you actually try to connect to it ... says it can't find it

Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

What onn model is it? 

Message 7 of 13
rgerst
Aspirant

the cheapest one walmart sells for about $15

Message 8 of 13
plemans
Guru

Does anything else have issues or just that device? 

did you log into the router and try changing the wifi channel?

Also, when you log into the router, make sure there isn't any special characters or spaces in the ssid/password. Some of these cheap devices are poorly coded and struggle with those. 

Message 9 of 13
rgerst
Aspirant

I dont think my living room tv is picking it up either when I try and stream. 

Message 10 of 13
plemans
Guru

did you log into the router and change the wifi channel? And did you check your ssid/password to make sure there wasn't any special characters or spaces?

Message 11 of 13
rgerst
Aspirant

no changes in password... if I had the laptop and phone wouldn't hook up.  I did not change any channels

Message 12 of 13
plemans
Guru

Change your wifi channels. 

Make sure the password doesn't have any special characters of spaces in it. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7