× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r7000 and ex7000 - how to combine these two..

dstrtd
Aspirant

r7000 and ex7000 - how to combine these two..

Hi there!

I want to achieve the following setup:

1. ISPs modem+router combo (Speedport 724v which is needed for this german entertainment tv-box called t-entertain and which therefore cannot be replaced by "3.")

that connects via WLAN to an

2. ex7000

which sends via WLAN to

3. the r7000 router

which then powers

4. a PC, a PS4 with LAN cable (and maybe iPhone/iPad with its own WLAN)

Is this possible at all?

How to direct the fastlane option from the extender? modem/router to extender on 2,4G and the extender to r7000 with 5G on the last mile? Or the other way round?

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Re: r7000 and ex7000 - how to combine these two..

Why do you need the R7000 at all?  You can connect the PC and PS4 directly to the EX7000 with LAN cables.

PC====EX7000====Speedport

Or are you trying to cover a long distance between the Speedport and the PC/PS4 by connecting the R7000 and EX7000 wirelessly?

PC====R7000====EX7000====Speedport

The R7000 cannot connect wirelessly to the EX7000 with stock firmware.  You will need 3rd party firmware to operate the R7000 in repeater mode. Asuswrt-Merlin, Tomato or DD-WRT will work but you may find the performance unacceptable.  Each repeater hop imposes a speed penalty of 50% to the speed, so two repeaters connected in series will impose a 75% speed penalty.  You will also have to use a different SSID between the R7000 and EX7000 in order to prevent the R7000 from connecting to the Speedport directly.

You'll need to experiment with Fastlane.  But you may find that using 5 GHz exclusively may be faster than using Fastlane.  Best case, you can probably get around 100 Mbps using 2.4 GHz.  With 5 GHz, you may get upwards of 400 Mbps (or maybe more).  Split it between communicating with the Speedport and the R7000 still nets you 200 Mbps each.  In other words, this:

Using 2.4 GHz between R7000 and EX7000:

PC====R7000==[100 Mbps]==EX7000==[400 Mbps]==Speedport

Using 5 GHz exclusively:

PC====R7000==[200 Mbps]==EX7000==[200 Mbps]==Speedport

Message 2 of 4
dstrtd
Aspirant

Hi TheEther and many thanks  for your quick reply!

so yes, i really need to cover a long distance, your ""PC====R7000====EX7000====Speedport"" is right

the plan is:

wireless from the speedport to the ex7000 in the parents house

then wireless across out the backyard to my room where the r7000 resides

in my room the r7000 should serve as router to distribute internet to all my devices - wired to pc+ps4 and wifi for iphone+ipad

the double speed penalties seem inevitable since speedport signal doesnt reach my room at all

I did already experiment with fastlane and made it use 2,4Ghz to connect speedport and ex7000 and used the 5Ghz channels to cross the backyard and link ex7000 and the r7000

the devices did connect but the r7000 never did get online

on my starting firmware (which i do not know atm, something with 1.04.....) were options to use it as repeater, bridge or access point

(the switch to wrt-firmware should happen when the system was up and running)

i then did experiment with the settings of r7000 and set to bridge mode

somehow this did make the r7000 inaccessible from the pc in my room even after resetting the thing and trying the whole day to connect again to it

strange thing here: my ipad can reach it via www.routerlogin.net, the PC cannot connect to it even when the netgear genie software on the pc shows the router (192.168.1.1) and the pc and the ipad on network map!!

so i do not know how to go on with this

shoukd i try to reconnect the r7000 with cable to either ex7000 and then the speedport, hoping that this will somehow reset the r7000 once again and makes it accessible again? or do you have another idea??

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

If you can't get back into your R7000, then disconnect it from everything except power and perform a factory reset (link).

Then connect a single computer and log in at http://routerlogin.net.  If you want to connect it wirelessly to the EX7000, then enable bridge mode.  Set it up to connect to the EX7000's Wi-Fi network.  Bridge mode will only support wired clients.  I didn't suggest it earlier because you said that you had an iPhone and iPad.

Alternatively, connect the R7000 to EX7000 with Ethernet, though I'm not sure how you are going to string it across it back yard.  You need either Ethernet cable rated for outdoor use or you'll have to run it through it conduit.  If you go this route, then enable AP Mode on the R7000.

Note, routing functions are disabled with bridge and AP mode.  Unless you want to isolate your network to be isolated from your parent's network, this should be ok.  Generally, you don't want to run two routers in a home network.  If you do any port forwarding or UPnP, then you'll have to enable them on your parent's router.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7