× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r7000 with ex7700 extender connection issues

ryancpatton0
Tutor

r7000 with ex7700 extender connection issues

Hi, I got my ex7700 in October 2019 to improve coverage around my house from my netgear r7000. It works great for a few minutes/hours then will disconnect all devices. Some days it doesn't work at all but usually starts working instantly when I turn it off and on again which is very frustrating. I usually just leave it off unless I really need the range for a short time but it can't be relied on and definitely isn't what I imagined when it said mesh extender. I've updated to latest bios on both the extender and the router as I read in other forums but I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance, Ryan.

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 8
KevinJ_K
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: r7000 with ex7700 extender connection issues

Hello ryancpatton0,

Thank you for reaching out. If you are having issues with an extender, we would recommend contacting support for technical assistance. You will find several options for contacting support using the provided link:  https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Regards,

NETGEAR Team

Message 2 of 8
ryancpatton0
Tutor

Thanks for replying. I'll  do that. Just wasn't sure where to say that. Thanks

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on your R7000? Its been known to have issues with firmware. Before assuming its the extender, start with a stable version of firmware on the R7000. then  move on to the extender. The most recommended firmware for the R7000 is the .42 firmware. If you downgrade, make sure to do it over a hardwired connection, factory reset afterwards, and then manually reinstall it. 

1. What modem are you using?

2. Firwmare on the R7000?  

3. Firmware on the extender?

4. How is the extender connected? AP mode, extender mode, fastlane? 

5. How big is your home? Distance from router to extender?

Message 4 of 8
ryancpatton0
Tutor

The firmware on the r7000p is V1.3.1.64_10.1.36. I'll try and downgrade to .42

Thanks, Ryan

Message 5 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ryancpatton0, please keep us posted.

Dexter

Message 6 of 8
ryancpatton0
Tutor

Sorry for taking so long. I had a bit of laptop trouble. I updated the router firmware and I think it's fixed. Thanks
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working properly!

did you upgrade the firmware or downgrade it to the .42 to get it working? Just checking for future reference and helping people out. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7