× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r7000P AC2300 and Altice One speed reduction

RedLotus
Initiate

r7000P AC2300 and Altice One speed reduction

Similar issue to so many others. Recently upgraded to Altice One box, and internet of 500Mb. On either an ethernet or a wifi connection, plugging my Netgear router into the UBEE router supplied by Altice more than halves the speeds. Support offered to fix this for either $149.99 or $49.99.

Questions: is there any single reason this occurs? Posts seems to be all over the place.

Has anyone paid to have this fixed, and did it work without creating other issues?

Is there any reason to do this at all? That is, why pay someone to "fix" my problem, that shouldn't be a problem? Why is the Netgear router slowing down the feed, even on a wired connection, and would a new/better router not require "root level programming" to fix this?

Thanks. 

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: r7000P AC2300 and Altice One speed reduction

what actual modem/gateway do you have from them? 

what firmware is on your router? 

Make sure to disable access control, traffic monitoring, parental controls, and qos. Then reboot the router. 

If that doesn't help, try a factory reset. Don't install from a backup. Test the speed when its first connected in the default configuration. 

How are you testing speeds? 

Device? 

Wired? 
Wireless? 

Website?

Message 2 of 4
RedLotus
Initiate

Thanks for the quick reply. I am now remote from the router location, so will need to gather information later, but have some partical responses for now:

wrote:

what actual modem/gateway do you have from them? It is a UBEE and I will get the model number

what firmware is on your router? 1.3.1.64. I did check more than once to be sure I had the most recent, and the Netgear site responded more than once that the router was up to date

Make sure to disable access control can't be done remotely, traffic monitoring,  Can't be done remotely parental controls disabled, and qos Can't be done remotely. Then reboot the router. 

If that doesn't help, try a factory reset. Don't install from a backup. Test the speed when its first connected in the default configuration. 

How are you testing speeds? 

Device? A Dell desktop - both wired and wifi, a Samsung phone and a Nokia phone

Wired? Y
Wireless? Y

Website? Both the ATT speedtest and the Netgear sites. Speeds were similar across sites, across wired and wifi, and in all cases substantially slower when connected to my router versus directly to UBEE.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I'll wait and see about the other info, details when you're not remote. 

Whenever you switch ISP's a factory reset/reinstall doesn't hurt as old settings can cause slow downs/issues. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7