× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: range extender of access point?

hierog
Aspirant

range extender of access point?

I currently have a Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri Band WiFi Router and have been having a helluva time getting wifi signal on the other end of my house. Today, I bought the Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Range extender.  The question i have is, do i run this as an extender, or an access point?  Not really sure of the advantages/disadvantages of each one. Hoping somebody could give me a good, honest answer!  Thanks in advance!

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 8
additude
Virtuoso

An access point typically has a hardwire ethernet cable between it and the "Server/Router" which makes it a more stable setup than a "Wireless Range Extender" which may need to be manuvered closer to a device or the device closer to it and the range extender is more susceptable to interferances like walls, appliances, windows, etc.

The extender would be easier to setup than an access point.

To setup the extender, locate it close to your router so that it receives a good signal, set it up and configure it, then move it to it's new remote location and test for connectivity. If you have poor connectivity, locate it in a different location until you have a good connection. This may mean that you might need to locate it closer to your router not just a different location at the same distance away.

There are good Netgear YouTube videos depicting this process.

Message 2 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@additude wrote:

The extender would be easier to setup than an access point.

Really? A standards compliant network cable and you have a reliable connection from the router to the place where the access point has ot be installed - very diferent from the hit-and-miss with these wireless backhaul experimenting, where the results often show that distance is to big, the building construction is to prohibitive to 5 GHz, the connecitons become unreliable, never had thrse problems with wired access point installations. Granted - installing a cable does take more time and effort. However, it's worth every Cent, every minute fo installation work.

Message 3 of 8
additude
Virtuoso

Anyone can drape a cable over stuff, hide the cable behind desks, chairs, furniture, tack it to the wall running down a hallway and knotch it thru door closings and maybe even just drill holes thru walls and push the cable thru them....

But if you wanted at least the minimal semi-professional installation then it's going to take more work than just having cable all over the place. Especially depending on installation requirements which the OP did not specify.

At least to have it neat in appearance may require fishing walls or running cable in the attic....

But who knows...?? Surely you do of course.

Why don't you just stick to answering the OP's questions with your own ideas instead of plucking feathers out of other peoples ideas...

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@additude wrote:

Especially depending on installation requirements which the OP did not specify.

Exactly, that's the point - we both know nothing about the requirements and the OP environment.

This wasn't intended as feather picking. Sorry please if you got it like that, this was not my intention. Just brought up the - in my opinion - much better, more reliable, long term solution .... the undoubted best way to do it. But hey, everybody on it's own. Believe me, I have two extenders in operation here at home, one towards the garage, one to the garden house - mostly to remain up2date on this consumer technology.

Message 5 of 8
additude
Virtuoso

OK, I can deal with that but for me personally, no matter what the installation, if I weigh the difference between configuring a WiFi device as opposed to running cable... which would mean in this situation, running a length of cable equal to or greater than the distance that an extender would/could cover....

I'll choose typing settings on a keyboard every time....

Message 6 of 8
hierog
Aspirant

Thank you everybody for the answers. One more question. I have multiple network drops all over the house. Can I utilize one of those network drops to plug-in and ethernet cable to use as an access point? I’m supposing it will work just fine but I was unsure if it needed to be a direct line from my router to the access point. As it stands My router is plugged into my cable modem and from there into a 24 port hub into which all of my network drops are plugged into
Message 7 of 8
additude
Virtuoso

A 24 port hub will slow your network down....

Switches result in faster traffic and improved network bandwidth. An unmanaged switch would be a value add.

You can surely use those drops as long as they are operational. That will save you a load of wire routing and an AP will always be faster than an extender as far as network performance goes.

Take an AP and plug it into one of your ethernet drops from the hub via the router and Voila!! Connection Operational.....

Consider replacing the Hub with an unmanaged switch.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7