× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: range extender with ethernet cable vs as an access point

kstern
Tutor

range extender with ethernet cable vs as an access point

I've been using a EX7300 as a range extender to a single access point, but have had some dropouts.  I was planning to set up a second access point.

As I read it, it looks like the EX7300 can be used also as an access point OR as a hard wired range extender.  In this application, what would be the difference? WOuld it perform better as a range extender or as an access point? - in either case, it would be connected to the router via ethernet.

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

As an access point the EX7300 needs to be hardwired in. So there isn't a "hardwired extender mode". 

Its simply access point mode. 

If you have it hardwired in and running as an access point, it'll actually function faster than it would in extender mode. In extender mode, the wireless chip has to send/recieve from router---->extender and then extender---->devices. And they can't do both at once. So they take a 50% speed hit. They don't take that same speed hit when its hardwired in. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
kstern
Tutor

a follow-on: If the answer is range extender, would I need to change any setup, other than plug directly in the ethernet?

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

As an access point the EX7300 needs to be hardwired in. So there isn't a "hardwired extender mode". 

Its simply access point mode. 

If you have it hardwired in and running as an access point, it'll actually function faster than it would in extender mode. In extender mode, the wireless chip has to send/recieve from router---->extender and then extender---->devices. And they can't do both at once. So they take a 50% speed hit. They don't take that same speed hit when its hardwired in. 

Message 3 of 7
kstern
Tutor

Thanks. I had had a good understanding of access points ans range extenders, then I read some Netgear documentation which seemed to mean you could connect a range extender using ethernet, and I didn't understand. It turns out that documentation was only talking about the CONFIGURATION process!  All is good. Using it now as an access point.

Related question:  When used as a range extender, Google Speedtest indicated ~ 190MBPS download. When I changed it to an access point, that dropped in half, in virtually the same location. Does MU-MIMO slowly train itself to improve? (either way, I've plenty of BW for anything I need.)

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

are you using the smart connect? 

2.4ghz is much much slower than 5ghz. so it matters which band you're connecting to for speedtesting. 

And in access point mode, its actually should have faster speeds than extender mode. 

Message 5 of 7
kstern
Tutor

I am using Smart Connect BUT before realizing the EX7300 could be used as a AP, I had purchaced a TP-Link AP and set it up (I'm going to return it). On the 5GHz band, it was giving me about the same results as does the 7300 now.

I have 1 laptop, a streaming TV, and several home digital assistants where they would be served by the AP.   On Smart COnnect, will they all tap into the 5GHz band?  If I were manually setting it up, I would put the low bandwidth devices on the 2.4GHz.  WIll this make any difference to my percieved speed? ( separate from the 180GBPS/90GBPS speedtests - I know they won't affect that.)

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

smartconnect will move devices between the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. 5ghz is much faster but it doesn't broadcast as far. 

It does tend to balance devices out between the 2 based on bandwidth and signal strength. 

What is Smart Connect and how do I enable or disable it on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Sup...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7