× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: router SSID name too long for N300 extender?

jennynilsson
Aspirant

router SSID name too long for N300 extender?

Hi,

I just noticed that the router SSID was truncated by the extender while creating the name for the extended network. Does the extender have a character limit for the incoming router network name length? Can this limit be edited? Since I can't connect to the extended network using my router password, I can't use the mywifiext.net page. Not sure how to solve this. I'd prefer not to change the original network name.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks 

jenny

Model: WN3000RPv3|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
jennynilsson
Aspirant

thanks for the suggestion, yes I think that would be the best way do solve it. But how do I access the extender Web UI if I can't access the network? that's more or less where I got stuck ;D 

Or should I connect it with a ethercable in the meanwhile til I get the SSID problem solved?

thanks again!

jenny

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The SSID (network name) can be up to 32 chars long, the security key 8...63 chars  when I have it right - the WN3000RPv3 should allow this, too.

Ensiure your extender has the current firmware in place - WN3000RPv3 – N300 WiFi Range Extender - Downloads. Let us know how and where you think the SSID is truncated (number of chars?).  Screenshots might help, too. 

Message 2 of 6
jennynilsson
Aspirant

Hi schumaku,

the router SSID is 29 charcters long which would make the extended network name 33 chars (including _EXT). there is one character missing (the last F) from the router SSID, see attached screenshot of available networks. I'll doublecheck the firmware version too, but if you say the SSID char limits is 32 then I guess this conferms my suspiscion. is there nothing else to do than changing the router SSID name to something shorter then?

best regards,

jenny

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Instead of hanging the original SSID (perfeclty understood - to much impact on many different devices and IoT) you can try to shorten the _EXT by editing the SSID on the extender Web UI and add the "lost" F again. 

Message 4 of 6
jennynilsson
Aspirant

thanks for the suggestion, yes I think that would be the best way do solve it. But how do I access the extender Web UI if I can't access the network? that's more or less where I got stuck ;D 

Or should I connect it with a ethercable in the meanwhile til I get the SSID problem solved?

thanks again!

jenny

Message 5 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Jenny, 

Thanks for your post. I wanted to follow up and ask if you are still having issues accessing the extender's admin page. 

~Christian 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7