× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

router dropping devices/not allowing them to be added

rosellavmd
Aspirant

router dropping devices/not allowing them to be added

Nighthawk x6- ac3200 tri-band router- its not a choice in the drop down menu

just downloaded latest firmware verion (after multiple failed attempts)

My problem: house size 4300 sq ft, single story, no inner brick walls. i can find the network out in the street, in the back yard and everywhere in the house.

the router is located on top of a bookcase about 10 ft off the ground in the very center of the house.

it has been awesome for 3 years that i have owned it.

recently i have been adding a lot of wifi connected devices to be run from a smartphone app, mainly lights, garage security camera/control and video doorbell-all of these devices are 2.4 gHz. These devices usually add pretty easily after 1-2 trys but recently some have been kicked off and i can't get them back on.

I am not a gamer, have 1 computer, a laptop, tablet, smartphone and printer on the network. No one else accesses it except the ocassional friend who visits. I am planning to add more devices and just want to solve this issue. Many of these devices are not active at the same time.

I have logged into the router but can't figure out who/what is assigned to the mac address and can't change their names if i could identify them.

it has been suggested i get an extender or switch to a mesh.

Please note I am NOT router savvy so any help has to be at the "see Spot run" level to be useful to me.

Any/help/suggestions would be appreciated.

also i have 2 questions that i can't seem to find the answers to so here goes:

1. Does a mesh alow for sevices to attach to the satellites and not crowd the bands on the router?

2. Does an extender add devices to the extender itself and not the router so the router is not crowded with devices?

What recommendations would you suggest to help me solve my problem?

thanx so much for wading thru this and offering suggestions to help me-

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: router dropping devices/not allowing them to be added

how many devices are we talking about? 

moving to a mesh router (with satellites) or even adding an extender can take some of the burden off the router. 

but again, a lot depends on how many devices we're talking about. 

Message 2 of 6
rosellavmd
Aspirant

since i can't seem to be able to log into the router now that i updated the firmware-last count i think was 28

mostly wifi led strip lighting controllers and Feit smart bulbs.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

you can usually use up to 32 devices per band. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24043/How-many-clients-can-you-connect-wirelessly-to-a-NETGEAR-router

what firmware is on your router? 

what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Message 4 of 6
rosellavmd
Aspirant

plemans-

thanx for trying to help

seems since i downloaded the app i can't log in on my desktop-go figure. I did run the sped tests and they were great.

and yes it's currently connected to the wifi

ok-to answer your questions

1. currently 32 (but does change to 34) devices. Unfortunately most of the devices (in fact, all) are 2.4 gHz which limites where I can add them.

2. firmware version V1.0.4.68_10.1.75 just downloaded this-couldn't get it to download-kept getting the rainbow eternal circle of death when I tried). 

3. Cox provided an Arris Surfboard SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem, which is hooked up to the router.

Hope this helps as I have more to add to the router-i am considering a mesh with 2 sattelites as the house is a 1 floor "H" shaped house. the router currently sits 10 ft off the ground slightly off center in the middle bar of the "H". All the interior walls are wallboard and wos-no metal suppoert beams that I know of.

Several people have recommended the mesh, as (I think i got this right) the devices attach to the satellite which then attaches to the router-i guess they act like hubs and control the "traffic" locally. These systems are expensive but if it solves the problem and eliminates the aggravation then great.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Mesh would probably function much better. 

If you use the same ssid for the mesh as you currently have, you devices should just auto-reconnect. 

a fairly simple swap and would provide better coverage and allow more devices

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7