× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

router

NikoMax7
Aspirant

router

Can I use a R6700 to link to a R7000 as a WiFi extender. I have a Cat5 that runs across the house?
Message 1 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: router

Yes you can you will need to enable the AP mode on the R6700 in the Advanced set up then wireless AP.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
NikoMax7
Aspirant

I’m fairly new to all this IT stuff. The AP settings will need to be set on the 6700? What needs to be set up on the 7000? Just the same wireless settings for WiFi connection on the 6700.
Message 3 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You do not need to make changes to the R7000 just connect the 6700 via Cat5 enable AP mode and then change the wireless settings to what you need on the 6700 and you should be good to go.

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-set...

DarrenM

Message 4 of 7
NikoMax7
Aspirant

Thank you! I will try this evening when I get home. No more kids complaining about not having enough bars on our WiFi.
Message 5 of 7
NikoMax7
Aspirant

One last question. The R6700 is the router in use now. The 7000 will be the new connection point at the other end of the house. Don’t know if I was specific on that.

Thanks

Toby
Message 6 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

oh ok just follow the same process with the r7000 if you are using it as the extender.

DarrenM

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7