× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

setting up 3 EX7000 range extenders

greg30808
Tutor

setting up 3 EX7000 range extenders

I have 3 EX7000 range extenders.  How do I login to admin on a specific device?  

When I'm logged in how do I verify which device I'm looking at?

I can't seem to get the extenders to setup properly.  If I could tell which one I was looking at it might help.  They seem to work fine when I only have one turned on and its connected to my computer with a cable.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: setting up 3 EX7000 range extenders

Running multiple extenders is a recipe for disaster. Especially if you're trying to use the same ssid as the router. 

Reason why is they can end up connected to each other and not the router if they're in signal range of each other. 

Some have gotten it to work fine using the same ssid but again, they have to be out of range of each other. 

As well as if you're daisy chaining them, you can end up with incredible low speeds at the end of the chain. Reason why is an extender running in standard mode has to recieve and retransmit data. and it can't do both at once. So it takes a 50% reduction in the speed its receiving and increases latency right off the bat. Add another extender in, and now your down to less thatn 25% speeds. Add the 3rd and your now down to less than 12.5%. 

the triband extenders mitigate the speed reduction a bit but can still run into the issue of connecting to each other when running multiples. Which is why I recommend anyone needing more than 1 extender move to a full mesh system like netgear orbi. 

What you can try if you've already got the extenders? Set each extender with its own unique ssid when you're going through setup. once you have one setup, power it off and setup the next one. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7