× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: softtree scam

AzzaF
Tutor

softtree scam

Not infected as far as I am aware but I have changed modem and internet provider. Upgraded firewall too.
Message 26 of 52
Inter-Barb
Guide

I did not have the local computer technician check for spyware because I had already spent so much money, so I went for the quickest and most inexpensive fix. However, I read posts by others that they or their computer repair techs did find back doors on their computers that would allow unauthorized access after SoftTree had been given remote access to their computers. I was also uncomfortable about the amount of time the technician spent with access to my computer. It was a simple problem that should have been fixed in a few minutes, but it took over an hour. I can only imagine what the technician was able to access in that amount of time. I was also very uncomfortable with the fact that the SoftTree technician advised against updating the router's firmware (which would provide the security patch to correct for vulnerabilities). To correct the situation, a reputable, trusted local computer technician saved my files, returned my computer to factory settings, then reloaded my files. He also reset my router and updated the firmware. Everything has been working great since then. 

Message 27 of 52
Alse12
Aspirant

Hi, it’s the set up manual that comes with Netgear in the Netgear box from amazon that has the web address my WiFi ext net ,to set the Netgear up and this website belongs to soft tree. This is why I went on the website chat when the set up didn’t work
Message 28 of 52
Alse12
Aspirant

I found it inside the Netgear box in the manual set up instructions: the website address which has the soft tree number
Message 29 of 52
Alse12
Aspirant

I installed Norton AFTER and it didn’t pick up anything malicious.
May be I will call them today to find out what’s going on.
I still can’t believe that the set up manual that comes with it has the fraudulent website on it.
Message 30 of 52
Alse12
Aspirant

Thank you for your detailed reply.
I bought Norton after this and it hasn’t picked up anything. Do you think that should be enough? Feel foolish for going on the online chat for the website and then giving them my mobile number to call on and go through all the remote access thing. Feel absolutely gutted and stupid! How is that website address in the set up manual?
But I did notice that my firewall was off and it had granted access to the any desk user.
When I went on the chat back for the company( the chat has never been,”online” since this happened,may be they blocked something on my computer) their,”supervisor” called me and said they have no one in Ohio which is where I supposedly received the call from( it was a no number).
They said they are based in California( sounded more like India) and have 1-323 numbers
Most computer techs are closed now due to lockdowns.
Really worrying a lot.
Thanks for your help once again
Message 31 of 52
Alse12
Aspirant

Also wanted to ask that the website mentioned does ask for your internet password to set up the extension; so I guess that’s a huge risk too?
Message 32 of 52
Ali46
Aspirant

A recent artricle on the AARP Bulletin made me wonder if I had been scammed by Soft Tree so I  went to the Netgear site and found that others had been taken advantage of by Soft Tree.  

Like others I believed that Soft Tree was connected to Netgear and allowed the representative to take control of my computer in July of 2019. The representative had me change my WiFi network password with ATT.   I have a Freeze on my accounts due to the Equifax hack a few years ago and I haven't noticed any problems, but I wondered if there is anything else I need to do to protect myself from Soft Tree.

Thank you 

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 33 of 52
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Ali46,

There's really a lot of opportunist online. The best practice that we can advise is to make sure to visit the official website of the manufacturer next time. We really do apologize again for this one. For further assistance, please contact our Support team: http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Oliver
Community Team

Message 34 of 52
Barab
Aspirant

I just got caught with the Soft Tree scam.  Like all the others I followed the Netgear instructions (thru the Netgear on-line automated chat system) and ended up with a tech in India.  I assumed he was an authorized Netgear support person working for a vetted company (The Soft Tree).  I gave him access to my computer and he fixed the issue and appeared to be quite knowledgeable.  The extender is now working fine. 

I am now worried about the security of my computer data since the tech had full access.  I just spent 25 minutes with a Netgear tech who said that The Soft Tree was not an authorized vendor.  I tried to find out why I ended up at The Soft Tree and what I should do about my computer (since this is a repeated problem as noted on this Netgear Community board).  Just then the line mysteriously disconnected.

Has anyone actually noted any data theft associated with this problem?

Anyone have a Negear corporate number that cares about customer relations?

Thanks

@mlefmann wrote:

I just spent 45 minutes with a "tech" person trying to set up my extender as I have a new U-verse network. This person was IN my computer. I followed a netgear.com link. He goes through all these commands on my computer remotely and tells me there is a conflict andI'd have to pay $99 to update the firmware so I could use my$69 dollar less then a year old extender. I shut it all down. This seemed really not above board to me. Not sure I'll buy netgear again.  I am so upset

Model: WN3000RPv3|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 35 of 52
sandyjt
Aspirant

I just fell for the same scam! I replaced my router and couldn't get my extender to work. Went to Mynetgear and was looking for a solution. Chat window popped up and I began speaking with the person, they said someone would call me and walk me through it. They got the extender working, but it cost me $199 and they had remote access to my computer for over a half hour.  What do I do now?

Message 36 of 52
sandyjt
Aspirant

When the scammers reach me through the netgear address on my instruction manual I feel they are partially responsible. 

Message 37 of 52
Finnegan4176
Aspirant

I just think I too was scammed while attempting to get help installing my Netgear extender 3700
Spent 40 minutes online with tech support. Took control of my computer because I had too many addresses and extender wouldn’t work. Spent $149.99 on 1 year plan for assistance and then found out via this website that it’s a scam. Netgear should be held responsible for this- it directs people to this help website. I am so angry. I actually thought this guy Bhupesh Joshua was helping me. Now I am afraid they have all my info
Model: AirCard 779S (Boost)|NETGEAR Fuse Mobile Hotspot
Message 38 of 52
schumaku
Guru

@Alse12 wrote:
Hi, it’s the set up manual that comes with Netgear in the Netgear box from amazon that has the web address my WiFi ext net ,to set the Netgear up and this website belongs to soft tree.

Both the .net and the .com domains belong to Netgear - permitting the user is typing as printed and -not- like my WiFi ext net what makes the browser search for these words and probably bring up the scam sites. If connected to the wireless extender, the extender Web UI shows up. If not connected to an extender, the fall-back sites on the Internet show up:

mywifiext_net_com.PNG

@Finnegan4176 wrote:
I just think I too was scammed while attempting to get help installing my Netgear extender 3700
Spent 40 minutes online with tech support. Took control of my computer because I had too many addresses and extender wouldn’t work. 

Whatever lies, tales and stories the scammers tell you, whatever useless commands and clicks they do just to fake the average computer user to proof they do something meaningful - just to hold you up for a longer time.

@Finnegan4176 wrote:
Spent $149.99 on 1 year plan for assistance and then found out via this website that it’s a scam. 

Talk to your credit card issuer abuse desk about the scam and request your money back.

@Finnegan4176 wrote:
Netgear should be held responsible for this- it directs people to this help website. I am so angry. I actually thought this guy Bhupesh Joshua was helping me. Now I am afraid they have all my info

No. This is what for example the AC750 WiFi Range Extender Model EX3700 Netgear Quick Start Guide does show:

extender install web.PNG

Netgear does nowhere direct customers to such a site. If a misspelled or a search result from what you have typed does bring results its unlikely from Netgear. Whatever you do on your Web browser is your own responsibility. You can be angry on the person between the chair and the keyboard, about your Web browser configuration, about your preferred or the web browser included search engine provider.

Message 39 of 52
MoniQ06
Guide

I found after all said and done and I saw the charge and I did my research.  I didn't buy from 
Amazon, I bought directly from Best Buy in town. There should be a class action lawsuit in my opinion because of the fraudulent mess with Netgear. 

Message 40 of 52
MoniQ06
Guide

Honestly, I reset my network and started from scratch.  

Message 41 of 52
MoniQ06
Guide

Oh I got my full refund when I called the number that I was given from these scammers and I threathened legal actions and I got a full refund.

Message 42 of 52
schumaku
Guru

@MoniQ06 wrote:

There should be a class action lawsuit in my opinion because of the fraudulent mess with Netgear. 

It does not matter from where you buy. This scam and fraud scheme exists for many vendors and are driven by the same Mafia-style oganisations.

And again for the records: Netgear isn't involved. Much more, they try the best that related fraudulent paid search results will be removed.  

Message 43 of 52
MoniQ06
Guide

So do you work for Netgear, since you're so confident that Netgear is not involved?  Is Netgear the the company that make the damn thing?  Your product is sold in retail stores and after I made it abundantly clear that your setup guide in your product is a scam.  There is not and ifs about it.  I hope folks keep seeing my post and are made aware of the scam at in the setup leaflet inside the box that is sold.  

Message 44 of 52
MoniQ06
Guide

Ohhh so you're saying you're removing fact from the posting?  That's what I'm undering.  If your removing the factual claims of the scam, then that says alot about the company.

Message 45 of 52
MoniQ06
Guide

I absolutely agree, Netgear should be held responsible.  If their product, not like one is buying used from a third party. 

Message 46 of 52
schumaku
Guru

@MoniQ06 wrote:

Your product is sold in retail stores and after I made it abundantly clear that your setup guide in your product is a scam.  There is not and ifs about it.  I hope folks keep seeing my post and are made aware of the scam at in the setup leaflet inside the box that is sold.  

Not Netgear, not my setup guide - just happily installed, installing, and supporting bunches of Netgear devices in my spare time. However, you can download electronic copy for the AC1200 WiFi Range Extender Model EX6150 Quick Start Guide (as included in the EX6150 box) and it clearly shows this:

ex6150 qsg mywifiext_net.PNG

If typing the URL as shown, and while connected to the extender wireless or on the extenders LAN port, you will be either connected to the EX6150 local Web UI ... or (in the case you are connected to a different networks) you end on the fall-back pages:

mywifiext_net_com.PNG

If you use any kind of search for my wifi ext or use just mywifiext or have any typos, you end on the browser search engine and it's well possible you get paid advertisements from the multi-million-USD-scam-business. User typos and fraudulent search engine results are outside of Netgear's control.

Further on, for customers buying the devices from an official source, Netgear does provide 90 days of free support.

I understand your frustration that you had been scammed. Please hold back with false accusations.

Message 47 of 52
schumaku
Guru

@MoniQ06 wrote:

Ohhh so you're saying you're removing fact from the posting?  That's what I'm undering.  If your removing the factual claims of the scam, then that says alot about the company.

No worries - I can't remove anything, as I'm neiter Netgear nor have any privileges on this community forum. I'm just adding facts - no fake news.

Message 48 of 52
mgibbons48
Aspirant

I got caught up in the Soft Tree scam. I was transfered to them when I contacted Netgear for help with my non-responding wifi extender. Same story as all of the other customers, they have now been in my computer and I'm not tech savy enough to make sure they aren't monitoring everything I do. Plus large charge on my Paypal account.

Model: WN3000RP|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 49 of 52
schumaku
Guru

@mgibbons48 wrote:

I was transfered to them when I contacted Netgear for help with my non-responding wifi extender.

Nope. You have used whatever search engine and run into a trap: Netgear customer service does NOT transfer anybody to scammers. 

@mgibbons48 wrote:

Plus large charge on my Paypal account.

Get your money back from the credit card issuer or papal due to fraud.

Message 50 of 52
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7