× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: using 2 wn3000rp repeaters in cascade

nishant786
Follower

using 2 wn3000rp repeaters in cascade

hi
i have a large area to cover with no hope of cabling. there are multiple floors and this is my current setup.

now the problem is the 1st repeater works fine and gives me internet access.
    the problem is with the 2nd repeater. it connects fine and all leds are green. i can connect wireless devices to it fine. but there is no internet. this happens only when the routers are in cascade.

now with multiple floors to cover i see no other way. could anyone please help me out as to what is casuing this problem and what can be done.

any help much appreciated.
Message 1 of 15
idxpired
Guide

why dont u change the setup a little bit

in place of connecting in the current way, i.e
router to wn3000rp number 1 to wn3000rp number 2

why dont u place the router in between
that is
wn3000rp no 1 from router to wn3000rp number 2

keep router in first floor and one wn3000rp in ground floor and other in second floor

will that work ???
Message 2 of 15
tdnb
Aspirant

same problem, with no possibility of putting the router in between. can this be resolved with this repeater?
Message 3 of 15
Strider08
Novice

Using one repeater will cut the wireless connectivity on your network into half. Lets say you have 54Mbps connection speed on your router. If you use a repeater you will get half of the 54Mbps from those computers connecting to the repeater. If you add another repeater which repeats the signal of another first repeater, it will be cut into half again. It is the possible reason why you cannot go online on your computers connecting to it. If what "idxpired" advised is not possible, you can try exchanging one of the repeaters with an access point. Use hardwired connection from the AP to the router (needs long ethernet cable though) and then repeat the signal of the AP. So you will have 3 wireless networks that you can connect inside your house.
Message 4 of 15
fordem
Mentor

If I might expand on what Strider has posted - to make it absolutely clear - you lose 50% of your throughput per repeater - so if you have a 1 mbps DSL internet connection, after the first repeater that's a 512 kbps connection, and after the second, it's 256 kbps.

You do NOT, repeat NOT, really want to daisy-chain repeaters - an ethernet cable is less than 0.25" diameter. and can be unobtrusively run.
Message 5 of 15
tdnb
Aspirant

that is VERY important information which I believe NETGEAR should put in the documentation. thank you.
Message 6 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You can out your 2cents to support at my.Netgear.com!
Message 7 of 15
fordem
Mentor

Just so that you are aware, this is not peculiar to Netgear, it's just how wireless repeaters work - all brands of wireless repeater.
Message 8 of 15
netgearcustome1
Initiate

Hello,

I've been working with the WN3000rp units for over a year now to extend our home WiFi network working the repeaters off a Amped 10000 unit connected to a TrendNet WAP Model TEW-673GRU. I found that as soon as I upgraded the Netgear units to the new firmware, they could not be cascaded.

The previous post on daisy chaining (cascade) the Netgear units (using the old firmware) explains there is a trade off in bandwidth which a post responder recommended putting another 'wired' router between the two Netgear units as a solution. I'd like to hear specifics from someone who has actually done that set up if anyone has and to know if that did the trick.

My other alternative is to add a bi-quad antenna to the TrendNet router and maybe an amp to boost the signal strength as a an alternative to cascading the routers. There is also an option of using the Asus RTN12 with different SSIDs for each of the Netgear units. Has anyone tried that?
Message 9 of 15
liquifusionv
Aspirant

netgearcustomerVA wrote:
Hello,

I've been working with the WN3000rp units for over a year now to extend our home WiFi network working the repeaters off a Amped 10000 unit connected to a TrendNet WAP Model TEW-673GRU. I found that as soon as I upgraded the Netgear units to the new firmware, they could not be cascaded.

The previous post on daisy chaining (cascade) the Netgear units (using the old firmware) explains there is a trade off in bandwidth which a post responder recommended putting another 'wired' router between the two Netgear units as a solution. I'd like to hear specifics from someone who has actually done that set up if anyone has and to know if that did the trick.

My other alternative is to add a bi-quad antenna to the TrendNet router and maybe an amp to boost the signal strength as a an alternative to cascading the routers. There is also an option of using the Asus RTN12 with different SSIDs for each of the Netgear units. Has anyone tried that?

Are you able to let us know how you was able to daisy chaining (cascade) the Netgear units? I tried downgrading the firmware to 1.0.0.12_1.0.12 but it didn't make a difference and I still had the problem of trying to daisy chain it (where the 2nd repeater wouldn't connect to internet), I've changed the firmware back to 1.0.1.18.
Message 10 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Now forum has new extender categories

http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140
Message 11 of 15
juanandresm
Tutor

idxpired wrote:
why dont u change the setup a little bit

in place of connecting in the current way, i.e
router to wn3000rp number 1 to wn3000rp number 2

why dont u place the router in between
that is
wn3000rp no 1 from router to wn3000rp number 2

keep router in first floor and one wn3000rp in ground floor and other in second floor

will that work ???

Omg that is not a very pro answer. I have the same problem and i need tha some qualified tells me how to solve the cascade problem and not to move the router. What kind of Forum is this. U better tell us that the WN300rp cannot be configurated in cascade and so, we can go to buy another good product to replace this.
Message 12 of 15
juanandresm
Tutor

fordem wrote:
If I might expand on what Strider has posted - to make it absolutely clear - you lose 50% of your throughput per repeater - so if you have a 1 mbps DSL internet connection, after the first repeater that's a 512 kbps connection, and after the second, it's 256 kbps.

You do NOT, repeat NOT, really want to daisy-chain repeaters - an ethernet cable is less than 0.25" diameter. and can be unobtrusively run.

Im sorry but you are very wrong about that. Using the same example, if you have 1mbbs on DSL internet connection, and have a normal Router of 54 mbps, you could put a repeater and it give you 27 mbps, a second repeater in cascade 13 mbps, a thirth repeater in cascade 6 mbps and so on. Even with 4 repeaters in cascade, you still can enjoy your 1 mbps internet connection. Please be serious.
Message 13 of 15
juanandresm
Tutor

netgearcustomerVA wrote:
Hello,

Thank you very much for your answer. I have the same problem with cascade configuration and the only thing that i´vee been listening here from the "Experts" are poor opinions without a solid foundation. I believe you and i think that this problem becomes from the Device.
Message 14 of 15
juanandresm
Tutor

netgearcustomerVA wrote:
Hello,

Thank you very much for your answer. I have the same problem with cascade configuration and the only thing that i´vee been listening here from the "Experts" are poor opinions without a solid foundation. I believe you and i think that this problem becomes from the Device.
Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7