× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

using Hotel-WLAN with more than 1 devices with Trek PR2000

MabuClou
Aspirant

using Hotel-WLAN with more than 1 devices with Trek PR2000

Hello,

i am in a holiday resort where we have WIFI access included. But it is limited to only one device. The WIFI itself is open, but you can only reach a login page. I think this is pretty standard now in any hotels.

So I thought, i can use this "TRAVEL" Router Trek PR2000 to couple more than 1 device.

I set up the PR2000 in AP-Mode with the hotel WIFI, connected my devices to the router and then accessed the landing page from my notebook. It went well for a couple of minutes, before my access got blocked. When I asked the hotline, why i got blocked, they told me that they have discovered that i was using some kind of software or hardware to share the WIFI-connections to more than the allowed single device.

So i am now wondering, how they could have discovered this and how the Trek PR2000 should be configured to avoid this?

How is the Router to be correctly configured to masquerade all the devices behind it?

Message 1 of 3
MabuClou
Aspirant

Betreff: using Hotel-WLAN with more than 1 devices with Trek PR2000

Well, as it is not working with the TREK PR2000 Router, which is very dissapointing,

i  have connected my Laptop with the Hotel-WLAN an then installed "Virtual Router Manager" as freeware on it. Within minutes i had setup my local WLAN and was possible to connect all my Family Smartphones and Tablets with this virtual WLAN. So we all could share this single WLAN-Access, which the Hotel had granted us. It is now working since a whole week with no hassle. Only backdrop is that the Laptop has to run all day and night.

So this is what i had expected from my Netgear TREK PR2000.

Is this Netgear Router capable of doing the same as this piece of software on any Laptop, or is it just a useless, overprice piece of plastic?

How do i have to setup this router for behaving the same as this combo (Laptop + virtual Router) ???

Are there any other suggestions based on a raspberry or so, doing the same, so i do not have to have the laptop running all time?

Message 2 of 3
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Betreff: using Hotel-WLAN with more than 1 devices with Trek PR2000

Hi MabuClou,

When setting up the PR2000, please confirm that there is no checkmark on "Extend my current wireless router's range" on the available networks page.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24571/~/how-to-configure-pr2000-with-wireless-wan-mode

However if you are running the latest firmware, you may see this page instead:

Select Public Hotspot and click Next
Capture.PNG

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7