× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

using a router instead of an extender

richard72942
Aspirant

using a router instead of an extender

Currently I have a R6250 in the house and I'm usling a 2500 Ranger Extender to my son's "apartment" located approximately 100' away from the house.  There are as many as 16 various units that are connected wirelessly ranging from thermostats to laptops, t.v., cellular phones, etc most of the time.

I'm thinking about getting a new 9600 and was wondering if I could connect the 6250 instead of the 2500 as a "range extender"?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
richard72942
Aspirant

Re: using a router instead of an extender

Thanks for the speedy reply.  I've been on a short vacation or I would have replied eariler.

I was reffering to the newer R9600 router to replace the R6250.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
netwrks
Master

The 6250 only does bridge and AP mode. You could get a 100' CAT6 cable run the 6250 in AP mode back to the to 9600(?) Curious what a 9600 is.

Message 2 of 4
richard72942
Aspirant

Thanks for the speedy reply.  I've been on a short vacation or I would have replied eariler.

I was reffering to the newer R9600 router to replace the R6250.

Message 3 of 4
netwrks
Master

I haven't found any links to a R9600. But, here's a rule of thumb. If it's brand new, save your money and wait until the product matures. The firmware is way too flaky and the first round of hardware is typically the worst. everything from DOA's, to basic hardware failures. The most stable Netgear AC router at this time IMO, is the R7000. (AC1900). Personally, I wouldn't touch anything in the first year of release..

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7