× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

verizon fios & ac3000 - can i hardwire

kimaslone
Follower

verizon fios & ac3000 - can i hardwire

Verizon fios internet router in basement (would love to move, but that's another battle for another day). 

House is a rancher (not fun for wifi with old hard blocks for walls)

I purchased ex8000 extender.  I keep getting intermittent drop out of wifi.  It's location is great - white lights for a long period, then drops,  then comes back.... 

So I want to try hardwiring next to my computer (upstairs). 

Can I run the ethernet already upstairs into the ex8000 & run another ethernet cable from ex8000 to the computer. 

Does the extender function like this?  The video netgear provided only showed it as an access point while connected directly sitting next to the router. 

My goal is to keep my connection to the computer & hopefully give more consistent wifi coverage to the other side of my house

I know someone is shaking their head, so yes, I am clearly clueless.  

Thanks for any help provided (oh & if anyone knows a good overall wifi tutorial - I would love a link - been watching youtube videos & am clearly still clueless)

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: verizon fios & ac3000 - can i hardwire

You should be able to do so. 

I'd set it up in AP mode. This will give you 3 wireless bands to use. You'll lose the one wifi feature but I have a feeling the wifi in the EX8000 is better than your fios router. 

One thing is that if you leave the wifi turn on in the fios router, make sure to have the wireless channels not on the same channels to prevent interfernce. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000045827/How-do-I-set-up-my-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-WiFi-Mesh-Range-Extender-in-a...

here's your support site with manuals.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX8000.aspx

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7