× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

vlans over powerlines

wbravin
Aspirant

vlans over powerlines

hello all

I am changing my home network

i am considering moving from an asus ac87u to opensense. This will require me to purchase a  managed switch. OK

i will be implementing opnsense a server and this will be connected with a single connection to a managed switch. both of these devices will be configured with vlans.

main lan 192.688.1.1

vlan 10  lan 192.168.20.1

vlan 20 lan 192.168.30.1

i would like to hard wirer all my devices in every room.

in 2 rooms i will have multiple devices.here,  In these rooms i will have a powerline adapters conneced to a small smart switch  that will  connect all my devices in that room

in 3 other rooms i will have a single laptop and i would connect these devices to a powerline adapter (which i currewntly do and it works).

1 option:

i can connect one powerline adapter to the main managed switch 

in this case all local power adapters shoudl carry all this information in the frame to this main adapter that will send the information to the managed switch that in turn will send that frame to the router so it can route it to the message to the correct device.

In 2 rooms The devices are connected to a small smart switch which is connected to a powerline that will carry the vlan informnation in addition to the ip and mack address. There will be 2 vlans landing on this local switch

In 3 rooms i only have a laptop therefore i nwould connected to the powerline directly

option 2

i connect 2 powerline addapters each to its own port. on the main managed switch. to one port i will assign the vlans and the other powerline will be connected to a untagged port. The switch will have an ip address of 192.168.1.1

does this give me 2 netwroks?

if so this would mean that i can pair one of the 2 adapters to the adapters that are connected to the small managed switches (this will carry the vlan infoemation) they would have 2 vlan. one vlan wih a network address of 192.168.10.X and the other vlan with a network address 192.168.20.x 

the 2nd adapter will be paired to the other 3 adapters that are connected to a single laptop their network address will be  192.168.0.x

in reading and watching information on frames and packets i beleve that one of the 2 option is possible 

any suggestions?

thank you for responding 

Message 1 of 3
Coaleyed
Guide

Re: vlans over powerlines

If you start working with VLANs keep in mind that several things out there are not designed to work outside of the 192.168.1.x IP range.  Consider this before moving foward.  There are some "smart switches" where that is the case.  ie. smarthings 

Message 2 of 3
wbravin
Aspirant

Re: vlans over powerlines

thank you for your reply

sorry i do not fully understande your comment.

when you say that not all things can vork outside of the manin lan. what do yopu mean?

Powerline devices

IOT

Smart wchices

my main question was rerlated to :your opiion on your powerline devices and how i should devign my network 

with 1 poerline for the main network 192.168.1.x 

ad 1 powerline for the vlans

In this case my question to you would be can i install the 2 powerlines in e seperate power soklets?

can i seggregate my netwrk in wach roomsand by pairing  the powerlines in each room to one of the 2 powelines above?

can your devices allow this

or can i do with all with 1 powerline connecto to a smart switch and all powerlines are pairred to this one and it will carry 192.168.1.x and the vlans?

thank you for responding 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7