× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: wi fi extender stopped working

tl113
Guide

wi fi extender stopped working

My wifi extender EX8000 – AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender stopped working and will not connect to the router anymore.  I have even tried to reset it. It keeps sayong ahving issues connecting with XXXX   Go to settings>WIFI and join your routers network.  I am joined on my phone with my routers network.  It still wont connect.  So I ahve even tried a new system set up.  IT will not connect to the extender.  IT tells me to to setting WIFI and connect to Netgear_ext. Then return to the Nighthawk app.  The problem is Netgear_ext  does not appear on my list for network to join.  This extender is barely 6 months old and cost nearly $200.  This is ridiculous that I cannot get any help from Netgear.

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

What router are you connecting it to? 

What firmware is on the extender? 

What are all the led's on the extender showing? (color, blinking, etc)

have you tried a factory reset and reinstall on the extender? Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. Then reinstall it. I'd recommend hardwiring into the extender (disable wifi on the device you connect to it) and using the installation assistant. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX8000.aspx

Message 2 of 9
tl113
Guide

It is the same router that it has been connected to since I purchased it. There have been no firmware upgrades to the router I don't know what the firmware version is on the extender because nothing will recognize it it will not make any type of connection. When you say I should try doing a hard wire are you saying from the router or from the computer I'm not sure exactly what you mean when I initially set it up through my mobile device I had no issues and now I don't understand why it will not connect or even see anything. The colors on the front of the extender are white but not all of them are lit up and they are solid
Message 3 of 9
tl113
Guide

So I redid everything factory reset etc. Worked for one day and now it will not connect again. Keeps saying connection failed. Is the extender I have gone bread and I should be getting a replacement under warranty? This is ridiculous. Barley six months old and no support from netgear.
Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the extender? 

When you setup the extender, did you use wps? 

Message 5 of 9
Reghar
Aspirant

I had similar issues resetting the extender. Make sure its powered on when resetting hold down for 10 seconds until it flashes Amber. Then Try this after when you get the connection to devices issue....
https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/Nighthawk-Password-incorrect-Solutio...
Message 6 of 9
tl113
Guide

Firmware 1.0.1.224 latest version available at updated fine. it still keeps saying trouble connecting to my network telling me to reset my router I keep doing that and it still will not connect. when I try to do the test my speed it keeps giving me an error that I cannot connect. When I did the hard factory reset and then I reconnected everything I just did it through the app on my phone and I had download speeds of 134 and now I cannot connect again at least when I try to test my speed or do any kind of analytics.
Message 7 of 9
tl113
Guide

Firmware 1.0.1.224 latest version available at updated fine. it still keeps saying trouble connecting to my network telling me to reset my router I keep doing that and it still will not connect. when I try to do the test my speed it keeps giving me an error that I cannot connect. When I did the hard factory reset and then I reconnected everything I just did it through the app on my phone and I had download speeds of 134 and now I cannot connect again at least when I try to test my speed or do any kind of analytics
Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

Did you use wps or the installation assistant? 

I'd highly recommend the installation assistant. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7