× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: wms5316, wndap350's and a lot of problems

rich205
Novice

wms5316, wndap350's and a lot of problems

Hi

Ive currently got a whole host of problems, but ill start with the latest first 😞

Im trying to update the firmware on a wms5316 controller, unfortunately although it goes through the motions of an update and reboots it does some strange things.

It shows 2.1.2 as the current firmware for about a minute, then kicks me out to the log in screen. Once I log back in it shows the old firmware 2.0.3 and all option screens are returned with oui setup available.

The second big problem and the reason im trying to update the wms5316 firmware is so the wndap350's ive purchased might actually work when managed. They work independant of the controller, but when managed massive latency is a problem with random dropping of equipment from the wireless network.
200-500ms returns on a ping are not uncommon with maybe 10% of all packets timing out against the server. When unmanaged the wndap350's maximum ping return is around 25ms with 99% of these being <3ms.

The system works fine with an ethernet cable, never a ping higher than 1ms, it also works perfectly well with a cisco 1200 and a cheap buffalo router ap combo thing, but these are not an option when I need to connect 200 ipads in a exhibition area.

Any help would be great

Cheers
Rich
Message 1 of 7
cogent
Novice

Experiencing exactly the same symptoms, in regards to WMS5316 update 2.1.2.
Is anybody at Netgear looking into this?
Message 2 of 7
rich205
Novice

Hi

I had a long chat with tech support and we eventually got the firmware to stick.

I flashed 2.0.3 onto the wms5316, reset the controller by holding the reset button in on the back for 30 seconds. Flash 2.1.2 after the restart, then reset the controller with the button on the back again.

After this mine seems ok, it doesnt crash out anymore.

Im also hoping the wndap350's actually work now as before they were awfully laggy.

Rich
Message 3 of 7
rich205
Novice

Ok,

Thought id do a quick update.

The controller on firmware 2.1.2 and the wndap350's on 2.0.27 all appear to be working ok.

Ive had 120 iPads run stable for a few days now with out anything falling over, no random disconnections or ap's restarting. I've had relatively heavy network traffic for this period. The wms5316 is stable, I can stay logged in all day with the timeout feature increased without any issues.
Message 4 of 7
Datajockeys
Aspirant

Thanks for posting about this.

FYI: Also had my WNDAP350s brick after pushing the firmware to them. Suspect they reset to factory settings as well?
Message 5 of 7
dxllc
Aspirant

rich205 wrote:
Ok,

Thought id do a quick update.

The controller on firmware 2.1.2 and the wndap350's on 2.0.27 all appear to be working ok.

Ive had 120 iPads run stable for a few days now with out anything falling over, no random disconnections or ap's restarting. I've had relatively heavy network traffic for this period. The wms5316 is stable, I can stay logged in all day with the timeout feature increased without any issues.

I hope this stays stable, I hesitate to try all your reset steps as I already RMAd my original unit because of this downgrade problem. Now 3 weeks later, my new unit is auto downgrading itself just like the last one did. So I fear I may waste a lot of time just to end up with a temp fix.
Message 6 of 7
Foxtrotoff
Aspirant

would just like to confirm this has also happened to my wms5316 and wndap350's in 2 of my schools at the moment.

Once i updated the WMS to 2.1.2 and then pushed the latest wndap firmware, the latency on all the wndaps flies up and they no longer report to the WMS anymore.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7