× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: wn3000rp SSID--must it differ from router?

tdnb
Aspirant

wn3000rp SSID--must it differ from router?

must the SSID of the wn3000rp differ from that of the wireless router?
Message 1 of 8
Strider08
Novice

Not really. The recommended one is to use the same SSID with the router and after finishing up the wizard it will have the same SSID name with your router with an additional "_EXT" at the end for you to identify it as the extender. You can also set a different SSID and security if you want.
Message 2 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Same SSID , channel, encryption
Message 3 of 8
garomesi
Aspirant

Hi

I have an additional question to clarify my question about SSID:

I use at home SSID homenet (one Router, one wired Access Point). So I have only ONE SSID and if I move from ground floor to second floor my PC is always connected to best wireless device without any interruption.

Can I rename wn3000rp from homenet_EXT to homenet so that wireless connection can be handed over without interruption between all wireless transmitter?

Thanks in advance for your support.
Message 4 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I would think you can... I don't have this unit on hand so not sure on exact effect.
Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

While I totally agree that you can use same channels you can also use different channels too provided they are not overlapping. I have tested this several times and in my case using different channels worked better when streaming video on 2.4ghz. @ 144mbps as I moved around the house using same channel the video would freeze and while using different channels it would not. My point is either one will work and depending on your situation one may work better than the other. Roaming requires SSID, and Secruity to be the same other wise you would have to disconnect and reconnect to the other source ( AP or Router) Check your WIFI card ADVANCED options for a roaming setting (not all have it) I only offer this as information and do not claim one is better than the other.
Message 6 of 8
garomesi
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks to all for your feedback and hints.

In the meantime I have changed SSD of my wn3000rp to same name I already use with all other Access Points and Wireless devices (SSD homenet). I was not able to change Channel. I don’t see any possibility to change Channel.

And I am wondering about “hand over” process: When I walk from ground floor to second floor I have a very clear hand over from Access Point No. 1 to Access Point No. 2. So my PC is always connected to best Access Point. As soon as I reach the range of Wireless Repeater I have to lose first connection with connected Access Point before my wn3000rp connects to the PC. So it could be that I have a very bad signal form an Access Point faraway although I stand in front of Wireless Repeater wn3000rp.

Maybe you have made same experiences, when yes, please let me know.

Thanks again and regards from Switzerland.

garomesi
Message 7 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

connectivity changes between the two AP is based on roaming aggressiveness on wifi device side which make the proper changes.

so channel sits different?
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7