× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

wn3000rp extender wont connect to other extender or router

Kent_In_KC
Follower

wn3000rp extender wont connect to other extender or router

I was a software techie once but I had an aneurysm/heart surgery/stroke and now my brain doesn't work like it used to and I'm stuck. I can't get my Netgear wifi extender to work. I know this is a dumb problem but I can't figure it out and it's frustrating me. Can you folks help me please?

I went to he Netgear website and watched the videos but still don't find the part where you manually set it up. I figure that should help me but again, I'm stuck.

The lowdown:

I have an Asus router which works fine. Thi is how it's set:
SSID: HartLandHouse
Protocol: 802.11n
Security type: Open
Network band: 2.4 GHz
Network channel: 6
IPv4 address: 192.168.1.89
IPv4 DNS servers: 8.8.8.8
Manufacturer: Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc.
Description: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter
Driver version: 12.0.0.720
Physical address (MAC): 3E-95-2A-FD-F1-01

I live in a house with metal floors *radiant heating) which blocks the wifi signal to downstairs. However, there is one little corner in the downstairs utility room where there is no metal floor overhead, so I can pick up a signal. I put a Netgear wifi extender right there and it does transmit a weak signal downstairs, but it is sketchy in the far corners.

I figured I would add a second extender downstairs to further extend the signal into the sketchy areas downstairs. I bought a netgear wn3000rp on ebay for peanuts but it looks new and supposedly works fine. I plugged it in downstairs within range of the first extender and hoped it would just work - but no! My wifi analyser app says there is a good signal there and I can connect to the first entender signal there, so I figure the new extender should be able to get it.

The new extender boots up fine, my wiwif analyser app shows it putting out a strong signal from the extender and I can connect to that new extender with my phone and laptop but the extender isn't connecting to either the first extender or the router, so I can't reach the Internet.

I also moved the new extender upstairs and tried to get it to connect with the router but it won't. And, I don't have an Ethernet cable, if you were going to ask me that.

So, in summary, how do I convince the new extender to connect to the first extender's signal when it won't even connect to the router itself when it's within arm's reach of it.

Thank you for your time and advice. I appreciate your help.

Message 1 of 2
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: wn3000rp extender wont connect to other extender or router

Have you tried to use the WPS setup method?

https://kb.netgear.com/22035/Installing-the-extender-with-WPS-Wi-Fi-Protected-Setup

DarrenM

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7